Subdomains vs. folders for external app access

grahamjans

Subdomains vs. folders for external app access

Postby grahamjans » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:09 pm

So I just read through https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Hosting_a_website and the whole thing seems kind of silly to me.

I can already access username.yourhda.com externally. I don't want to set up another dyndns, buy more domains, mess with CNAMEs etc.

Either: the Amahi dyndns should handle appname.username.yourhda.com in a relatively painless manner (I mean, it's no skin off your nose, right?) or else apps should install in subfolders instead of subdomains so one can just access it at username.yourhda.com/appname or similar. And if this is already possible, it should be added to the documentation, and probably as the first option since it ought to be the most straightforward.

I mean, the whole reason I'm using Amahi is because it's supposed to be pushbutton, and for many things it is. Why add unnecessary complexity to the process of externally accessing your apps?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Subdomains vs. folders for external app access

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:38 pm

We are working on that feature for Amahi 7. Our current architecture does not allow for access in the manner you mentioned. That is what we hope to change for the new release on Fedora 18.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

monsterarmy

Postby monsterarmy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:37 pm

Has this since been fixed? as I have some uses for being able to do what he said as i am trying to use it for basically managing a business but i have more than one app and i am only making a prototype to propose right now. If there is anyway even if its not a one click fix please let me know by simply pointing me to a form with a how to as i would love to get it working.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:29 am

No nothing has been accomplished. It is a feature request that probably won't be completed until Amahi 8 on Fedora 21.

However, there is a potential work around that might help. It involves changing the port each app utilizes for access. This would require 1 port per app.

The guidance can be found in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5787&start=10

Hope this helps. It has been tested by two users and appears to work well.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2