Greyhole not making the extra copies?

kevinor

Greyhole not making the extra copies?

Postby kevinor » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:51 am

I apologize for my ignorance, as I wade into linux...

Been running amahi on fedora 14 for a couple years, and it's been excellent.

Wanted to upgrade to the ubuntu version, and also was adding larger disks to my pool (3TB).

So I decided to start fresh. Backup up all files from previous greyhole pools to one 3TB disk... currently sitting in my windows machine until I get everything else working.

So I install ubuntu, got greyhole working on a single 3TB disk. Now I've added a 2TB disk and am testing everything again to make sure it's working properly before I copy my files back, then add that drive back to the pool (in the end I should have 2x3TB and1x2TB in the pool).

I've changed the settings in the amahi panel to keep an extra copy. I want every file from each of my shares on two disks just in case.

Problem is, my files aren't being recreated on my second disk. I've tried --fsck, --balance etc to no avail.

Here'a link to a mass of computer information: http://sprunge.us/LfaR

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

ribbles

Re: Greyhole not making the extra copies?

Postby ribbles » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:35 pm

You are missing the drive_selection_groups parameter in your greyhole.conf

sidefx

Postby sidefx » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:25 am

How would one go about getting that into the greyhole.conf? By my understanding it is generated from greyhole.yml by Amahi, but I can't seem to insert the drive_selection_groups (or dir_selection_groups an Amahi 6.3??) as the colons seem to cause issues with parsing the yml.

sidefx

Postby sidefx » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:53 pm

Can anyone just confirm that drive_selection_groups (or dir_selection_groups?) is definitely required when using "most_available_space" as the selection algorithm for greyhole? My greyhole.conf doesn't have any selection_groups defined and I don't believe it ever has, but somehow extra copies of some of my shares (Pictures, Docs) have been made across all my drives.

But currently if I increase extra copies for other shares in amahi (e.g. I have done it for Movies, TV, Comics) which in turn increases num_copies in greyhole.conf, no extra copies are made. I have triggered a full greyhole fsck but still nothing.

(if it helps here is info from greyhole info script: http://sprunge.us/NUjb)

sidefx

Postby sidefx » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:33 pm

OK, I can confirm that it is the missing dir_selection_groups that is preventing greyhole from creating extra copies; I went ahead and ignored the warnings that amahi will overwrite my changes, and edited greyhole.conf directly to add the following:

Code: Select all

dir_selection_groups = OK: /var/hda/files/drives/drive20/gh, /var/hda/files/drives/drive7/gh NEW: /var/hda/files/drives/drive5/gh, /var/hda/files/drives/drive10/gh BROKEN: /var/hda/files/drives/drive4/gh dir_selection_algorithm = forced (1xOK, 1xNEW, 1xBROKEN) most_available_space
restarted greyhole and started an fsck and it is now happily creating the extra copies that I want.

I have no idea why my greyhole.conf(and greyhole.yml) files are missing these or how the 2 folders that I set "always max" a long time ago previously got multiple copies but it seems that without these entries now greyhole won't create extra copies.

I also have no idea what format I need to put the lines above in my greyhole.yml file so that they persist\aren't lost next time amahi overwrites greyhole.conf. Any ideas please??

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:41 pm

This all should be done automatically by the Amahi Dashboard. Not sure why things would be incorrect, but might check the wiki for help.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Greyhole
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

sidefx

Postby sidefx » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:11 pm

@bigfoot65: Thanks for the reply! I did look through the wiki but couldn't see anything that looked hopeful or helped too much with this particular issue.

Could anyone look in their greyhole.yml file and tell me if it has a section for "dir_selection_groups" or "drive_selection_groups" - just trying to figure out if mine once had it and lost it somehow or if it has never had it and "extra copies" stopped working for another reason (which happens to be "fixed" by adding it back in)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:20 pm

Did you check the Greyhole web site? I believe the default file you seek is posted there.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2