Amahi ownCloud Wiki Pages

northridgegrp

Amahi ownCloud Wiki Pages

Postby northridgegrp » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:19 pm

A new ownCloud Wiki page has been added covering the various ways ownCloud can be configured to share information.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Amahi ownCloud Wiki Pages

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:39 am

Awesome job! Thanks for keeping us updated. Sure could use your level of detail for the who0le wiki :) Would you be interested in helping tighten up our documentation?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:19 am

The ownCloud Wiki pages have been re-factored to allow for future content growth. The style is similar to on-line books that are published via Wiki sites.

New content has been added as part of the re-factored pages.

I would like to use subpages in future in order to keep the content in a hierarchical order.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:54 am

We have released the Amah ownCloud application for Fedora 14 and Ubuntu 12.04. Many thanks to northridgegrp for all his documentation work in the wiki!
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:19 pm

New ownCloud wiki page added for "User and Group Administration".

olson

Postby olson » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:28 am

@northridgegrp,

Looking at http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Media_S ... g_ownCloud makes me think that the method is not compatible with greyhole. Is that correct?

Your directing owncloud to the shares location ("/var/hda/files/*") rather than the mounted samba share like greyhole requires. See these:

- http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Greyhol ... t_Warnings
- https://github.com/gboudreau/Greyhole/w ... resLocally ("Greyhole data should only be accessed through shares")
- viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4440

I think that its ok for it to be in-compatible... but it should be stated as such (in big letters) on the wiki.

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:04 am

Ah! You are correct! This particular article is aimed at those of us that choose not to use Greyhole on our Amahi servers. It was not intended as a solution for the "Greyhole shares" in Amahi.

I will make a note in the section of the article to indicate this is not a configuration solution to be used with Greyhole. I brought this particular section to your attention as at the moment there were questions of directory ownership/permissions issues with reference to using Amahi "shares" in ownCloud. These issues are a common set of questions that have been posted for some months now on the ownCloud Community forum. A lot of ownCloud Community users are having problems mounting "shares" (local and Samba) to ownCloud. After much research and tinkering I found out we can incorporate the existing local disk drive Amahi shares in to ownCloud (without Greyhole).

I will be looking in to the use of Greyhole sometime in the new year, and hope to document some "wiki guidance".
Amahi Greyhole, at the moment, seems to involve mounting the ownCloud data directory as a Samba/Greyhole share plus changes for required share ownership/permissions on the Greyhole hosted ownCloud data directory share.

I've been discussing the Greyhole challenge with "bigfoot65" in the last few days. Thanks for pointing the Greyhole "compatibility" part.

olson

Postby olson » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:54 pm

Ok I see.

In your solution, you aren't going to use the samba shares at all (as in, no direct access to them... always going through owncloud), right?

So why not get rid of the other samba shares (photos, movies, music) and just have owncloud's config use the owncloud greyhole share (like here: https://github.com/gboudreau/Greyhole/i ... t-11103519). Then you can create photos/music/whatever folders in owncloud and don't have to worry about external sources/permissions/etc...

I've not fully test that yet, but it seems like a simpler solution. What are your thoughts?

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:14 pm

In the article I am providing people with usage options. Some of us don't need Greyhole and never will. Some users want to use the default Amahi shares, others might not.

There is still a problem with Greyhole in that it uses Samba mounted shares. One of the Samba shares happens to be the ownCloud data directory. ownCloud at the moment has some major issues mounting or using Samba shares due to ownership/permissions issues or just plain stability. It is wise for us to approach the file storage challenges in a cautious manner. I managed to stumble on to a set of conditions for mounting "local" shares using the ownCloud "backend" application. Not many ownCloud Community members to my knowledge have successfully archived this as yet.

I have discussed the sharing issues with the ownCloud developers, community members, and founders at length about Samba. At the moment they do not have any answers for Samba share (they have some serious bugs) use. They are trying to have the problem resolved by ownCloud V5, due in early 2013.

I hope this explains the approaches I am taking?

olson

Postby olson » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:43 pm

I think I understand what your saying. Your documentation is great. I don't think we could ever have too much documentation :).

One more comment though, In my suggestion, owncloud isn't mounting samba shares. The share is already mounted by linux (at /mnt/samba/owncloud) and owncloud is just read/writing to disk (point owncloud config to /mnt/samba/owncloud/data). In this case, Owncloud doesn't know (or care) if its samba.