Problem installing monitorix

laurensdekipling

Problem installing monitorix

Postby laurensdekipling » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:23 pm

Hi,

I bought a couple IDE drives from our university surplus store and installed amahi on our old home computer about a month ago. It made a great file server in the house, for backup and with openVPN for remote file access. I encountered no problems as amahi indeed is a great product with good documentation. Everything was find except that it was running on an old and noisy power hungry box. I bought a more recent used PC from the same surplus store for $50 and started over. Everything went just as smoothly except for the Monitorix app. The dashboard says it is installed, but the service will not start and the web page does not exist.

/var/log/amahi-app-installer.log shows that the installation is attempted but incomplete.

Code: Select all

======= app install begin @ Mon Dec 10 23:05:58 -0500 2012 ========== Installing app id r9or2ptda0 under /var/hda/platform/html ENV=production NOTE: file /tmp/amahi-download-cache/170d624be9006ed51c6cc9f4a17051824af50c18 written in cache Your HDA services have been restarted. Your HDA services have been restarted. sed: can't read /etc/monitorix.conf: No such file or directory sed: can't read /etc/monitorix.conf: No such file or directory sed: can't read /etc/monitorix.conf: No such file or directory mv: cannot stat `/etc/httpd/conf.d/monitorix.conf': No such file or directory sed: can't read /etc/monitorix.conf: No such file or directory sed: can't read /etc/monitorix.conf: No such file or directory monitorix: unrecognized service App: Monitorix installed ======= app install end @ Mon Dec 10 23:06:06 -0500 2012 ==========
The GUI cannot start the service and I cannot start it manually either.
The /etc/init.d service script does not even exist.

I have tried un-installing and re-installing. No difference.
I have tried deleting the specified /tmp/amahi-download-cache file and re-installing. No difference.
When it is uninstalled, the /var/hda/web-apps/monitorix area is indeed deleted.
When it is installed, the web-apps area looks like an empty shell:

[root@amahitoo philippe]# find /var/hda/web-apps/monitorix/ /var/hda/web-apps/monitorix/ /var/hda/web-apps/monitorix/html /var/hda/web-apps/monitorix/logs /var/hda/web-apps/monitorix/logs/error_log /var/hda/web-apps/monitorix/logs/access_log
I am guessing this points to a problem with the current version being distributed that must be partially missing or corrupt.

I have looked at /var/log/messages, /var/log/httpd/error_log, /var/hda/platform/html/log/production.log. I have also looked at the debug info on the GUI settings pages.
I can't seem to find the place where it would be complaining about not finding the product
to download.

Sorry, this is on Fedora, as I am more familiar with the redhat flavor of linux environment.
If this is totally unsupported, could you at least point me at what logfile would have more detailed installation information, or what debug or verbose switch I can set to record more details.

Thanks,

Philippe

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Problem installing monitorix

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:19 am

The app install log indicates the app did not install correctly. Please uninstall and try again. Do you have good connectivity with your internet?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

laurensdekipling

Postby laurensdekipling » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:46 am

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, I have tried re-installing multiple times with the exact same result.
I even tried deleting the cached copy in /tmp before re-installing.

Has the monitorix app been updated recently?

Thanks,

Philippe

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:29 pm

It was updated not too long ago. I will check the source file and do a test install as well tonight.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

laurensdekipling

Postby laurensdekipling » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:40 pm

... and for the second part of your question: yes, my internet connection is very stable.
This is the only app and otherwise the only item I have had an issue for Amahi or anything else.

Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:19 pm

I am noticing an issue on Amahi's end with that app. I am troubleshooting it now.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

Atomic

Postby Atomic » Sat May 18, 2013 6:24 am

This issue appears to have re-occurred after the last update to Monitorix.

I am now unable to to access the app. I have tried to reinstall the application via the control panel with no success.

The error i get on the page is:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.
The error in the install log is:

Installing app id r9or2ptda0 under /var/hda/platform/html ENV=production Your HDA services have been restarted. Your HDA services have been restarted. ln: failed to create symbolic link `/usr/share/monitorix/cgi': No such file or directory sed: can't read /etc/monitorix.conf: No such file or directory sed: can't read /etc/monitorix.conf: No such file or directory sed: can't read /etc/monitorix.conf: No such file or directory sed: can't read /etc/monitorix.conf: No such file or directory sed: can't read /etc/monitorix.conf: No such file or directory sed: can't read /etc/monitorix.conf: No such file or directory mv: cannot stat `/etc/apache2/conf.d/monitorix.conf': No such file or directory ...done. can't open file /etc/monitorix.conf. ...fail! App: Monitorix installed ======= app install end @ Fri May 17 05:55:42 +0100 2013 ==========

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun May 19, 2013 3:47 pm

This typically denotes the app package did not install. If this is Ubuntu, ensure you run:

sudo apt-get update
Don't need to actually do an update, but ensure the repo is refreshed. Then try uninstall and reinstalling it.

If that does not work, let us know and we will look for a different solution.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

Atomic

Postby Atomic » Mon May 20, 2013 6:05 am

Hi,

I've tried running "sudo apt-get update" and it is still not allowing me to install the application correctly. All the logs and output looks the same.

Thanks,

Tom

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:31 am

We have been unable to reproduce the issue on our end. Recommend you check out this thread where I mentioned about a manual install of the Monitorix package.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4747&start=10

Not sure if it will help, but worth a shot. We also have recently added the latest Ubuntu version of the app to our local repo to help with install issues.

If this continues to be a problem installing for users, we may have to move this back to BETA until we can resolve.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager