Run apps outside of Amahi

jasonmav

Run apps outside of Amahi

Postby jasonmav » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:21 am

I am looking to setup a new home server using Amahi. I currently have a windows setup running Plex. I would now like to have Plex Media Server running on the Ubuntu/Amahi server. Would there be any problems from running the Plex media server outside of Amahi (installed from ubuntu) instead of using the plugin? Any advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Run apps outside of Amahi

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:29 am

It's your server, so you can do anything you want. There are some who have installed it manually in Amahi with success. Might check the wiki for guidance.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

jasonmav

Postby jasonmav » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:32 pm

Sorry to bring back an old post of mine, but I have finally setup my HDA. I see that a Amahi Plex app is still in beta so a no go. I now plan to just install plex via ubuntu Software Centre. To be clear, does installing applications this way affect amahi? If not, what is the purpose of having Apps for Amahi?

Any info would be great, thanks.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:27 pm

It could affect Amahi, depending on what the install does. If it breaks it, it may be irreversible. That would then require a reinstall of OS and Amahi. Not trying to scare you, just wanted to offer a word of caution.

The purpose of Amahi one-click apps is just that, click to install without any further configuration. Many apps that OS install still require additional configuration by the user. Sometimes it's simple, but other times it can be rather complicated.

It's your choice what apps you install from the OS vs Amahi. While we do our best to package apps and maintain them, we do need the help of the community. Plex Media Server is one of those that someone packaged, then stopped maintaining. That is why it's still beta, and to be honest, not sure its working now.

If you would like to share your experience installing it from the OS software center in the wiki, that would be great. I am sure other users would appreciate it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

smeep

Postby smeep » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:56 pm

Are there certain areas of the OS that are more volatile, as far as breaking Amahi goes? I'm still evaluating my next home server OS, and was leaning toward Amahi for its simplicity. I thought that I'd get the convenience of the one-click app store plus any other applications that I wanted to install myself.

Is there any way to know (or guess) in advance what types of things would break Amahi?

bsk

Postby bsk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:08 pm

Installing Plex should not break anything within Amahi, but like bigfoot said there is always a possibility. Make sure you read posts in the wiki first.

Also you can try Amahi out in a virtual machine first just to make sure its right for you!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Having problems with connecting to the internet? Try the Network Troubleshooter.

Not sure what your Gateway IP? Head on over to the Find Your Gateway IP page to find out easily.

smeep

Postby smeep » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:45 pm

Thanks, but do we know what areas in general are likely to break? And why? Obviously, installing a calculator application wouldn't harm anything, right? My understanding of Amahi in an oversimplified sense is it is a graphical way to configure shares and access rights, to easily install and configure some commonly-used software, and to provide reporting (like disk usage). I'm a software engineer myself (not Linux, though), and I don't understand why installing an application would break Amahi's functionality to the point that it would require reinstallation.

Not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to understand how it works to gauge if it meets my needs now and also in the future.

Thanks!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:58 pm

Basically anything an app might change that Amahi controls or manages could cause problems. DHCP, samba, etc are some of the components that could be affected.

There have not been many test cases to determine what apps or mods would interfere. We just don't have the resources to test and document.

My advice would be to look try via virtual machine. That is the best test platform that will ultimately determine conflicts.

ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

dano5

Postby dano5 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:31 pm

I have installed plexmediaserver manually on my hda running ubuntu server 12.04 without any problems or issues, though I downloaded the deb package and installed manually with:
sudo dpkg -i "packagename"
It's been running fine for months.

Only issue I had was dependencies, fixed with "sudo apt-get install -f" or "sudo apt-get -f" can't remember which command is right...
But no guarantees of course, just saying it's been done :-)