OwnCloud Installation

genel

OwnCloud Installation

Postby genel » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:25 pm

I am trying to understand why the owncloud set up is the way it is. The data files are in /var/hda/files/owncloud/data and that's ok, but the installation script added a Samba share for this directory. I don't understand why. Is it used some how.

The reason I'm looking so close is I want the owncloud data to be in the greyhole pool. I can just set "uses pool" on for the owncloud share, but I don't think that will work since I doubt if the application uses Samba to access the data.

My plan is to make a share for the owncloud data and then mount it to the owncloud directory. Then the share can be in the pool. But I don't want to break anything, so I thought I would ask why it's like it is first.

Gene

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: OwnCloud Installation

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:18 am

Yes that is where files are uploaded. By making it a share, Greyhole will know of that location providing you include the share in the pool. You can also add existing shares to ownCloud. To make things work better, recommend you install the mount_shares_locally for your HDA. Guidance is in the wiki. Web apps that access shares on the HDA won't use Samba unless you add that script.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

genel

Postby genel » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:31 pm

I have mount_shares_locally installed. I ran it (using the service command) and now the owncloud share is mounted at /mnt/share/Owncloud. But it seems to me I need to modify the config file to use that rather than /var/hda/files/Owncloud.

I did set the Owncloud share as "uses pool" and ran an greyhole -f, but nothing happened, nothing was moved.

Gene

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:19 am

No you should still access files via /var/hda/files/share. The script forces the shares to use Samba locally, so accessing them with their normal path should yield the same result as using a Windows client to access them via file manager.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Mount_Shares_Locally
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

olson

Postby olson » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:48 pm

No you should still access files via /var/hda/files/share. The script forces the shares to use Samba locally, so accessing them with their normal path should yield the same result as using a Windows client to access them via file manager.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Mount_Shares_Locally
Are you sure? The directions here: http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Greyhole says "You should never change or delete files in the shared directories (/var/hda/files/* by default) directly on the HDA"... It says to use the script your talking about above. That script automounts the shares to "/mnt/samba/*". So shouldnt owncloud be configured to use mounted local share (ie the the one located at /mnt/samba/owncloud)?

olson

Postby olson » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:20 pm

Also, I was looking at greyhole docs (https://github.com/gboudreau/Greyhole/w ... resLocally) and it also says that "Greyhole data should only be accessed through shares".

I've tried changing the owncloud config to point to the locally mounted samba share and it gives me permissions issues. trying to change the ownership of a share doesn't seem to work.... any ideas?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:23 am

Well when is says access via shares, it means the /var/hda/files/share I do believe. Not sure if that works as I have not tried it myself. When working with Greyhole locally, I have always used that path with no issues. Maybe a post should be added to the Greyhole area about the script and get clarification from the author. He typically answers them within a day or two.

We are looking into this issue as it appears to be an ownCloud issue. The user who did all the wiki guidance noted some issues with shares in the ownCloud forums. Hopefully we will know something soon.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

olson

Postby olson » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:55 am

I posted a question with documentation references and examples here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4440&p=23249#p23249

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:14 am

Good write up. That should get us the definitive answer. Once we have it, wiki guidance can be updated to ensure there is no doubt which share is used, /var/hda/files/share or /mnt/samba/share.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

olson

Postby olson » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:27 am

For sure. I'm about to start using owncloud for a data (since its wife friendly) so I want to get this taken care of first.