Having trouble deleting files from locally mounted share

vsvsvs

Having trouble deleting files from locally mounted share

Postby vsvsvs » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:27 pm

Hi there!

I recently installed a new drive and have decided to use greyhole for this as well as one partition of my existing drive. I am now in the process of moving all my files to the now greyhole enabled shares (which I have mounted locally as per this guide http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Mount_Shares_Locally)

The migration process seems to be going fine, however I have found that I am unable to delete files from the shares once they have been created. The error I get is as follows:

"Unable to find or create trash directory"

If I log into the hda remotely from my macbook deleting files is no problem, but for some reason I get that error every time I try and delete something from ubuntu its self.

(so yea, I am on ubuntu 12.0.4 kernel version 3.2.0-32-generic-pae)

here is paste from smb.conf http://paste.ubuntu.com/1346655/
(couldn't find greyhole.conf in /etc/ so I dont have that one

Hopefully this isn't too difficult a problem to solve!

Stephen.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Having trouble deleting files from locally mounted share

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:42 pm

Ensure all files in /var/hda/files is owned by your firstadminuser:users. The command line is:

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R firstadminuser:users /var/hda/files
Replace firstadminuser with your HDA user name of course. If that does not work, try restarting Greyhole.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

vsvsvs

Postby vsvsvs » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately this didn't resolve my problem.

For a bit more context, I can delete files no problem when connecting remotely (with the same account) or if I log into my admin account which is the same as the main amahi user.

Any ideas on this?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:53 pm

Ensure mount _shares_locally is running. You stated you installed it, but is it running.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

vsvsvs

Postby vsvsvs » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:06 am

how can I ensure it is running? The shares show up fine in the /mnt directory and I can view/copy files to them no problem....I can also delete files using the admin account as I mentioned.

it is just with my second non admin account that I can't delete files.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:18 am

Seems like I had that problem once too. The client that accesses the second account needs to have the same user name and password as the HDA second account. I think that is how I resolved it. Can't remember as it's been a while.

As long as everything else is working, then sounds like the script it working correctly. Maybe check the logs and see if you can find anything that might help. They are located in /var/log folder on the HDA.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

vsvsvs

Postby vsvsvs » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:07 am

hmmm, I checked the logs and this is what I get when I try to delete a file (using the aforementioned account)

Nov 15 03:05:16 7 sleep: Nothing to do... Sleeping.
Nov 15 03:05:26 7 read_smb_spool: Processing Samba spool...
Nov 15 03:05:26 7 read_smb_spool: Found 1 new tasks in spool.
Nov 15 03:05:26 7 simplify_tasks: Simplifying pending tasks.
Nov 15 03:05:26 6 rmdir: Now working on task ID 32720: rmdir Pictures/.Trash-1002
Nov 15 03:05:26 6 rmdir: Directory deleted: /var/hda/files/Pictures/.Trash-1002
Nov 15 03:05:26 7 sleep: Nothing to do... Sleeping.
Nov 15 03:05:36 7 sleep: Nothing to do... Sleeping.

(this is from greyhole.log)

Does this help? As far as I can tell the HDA account/user account both have the same name and password so I can't see that being the issue. Do you have any other ideas of what could be causing this problem.

thanks.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:28 am

Also check the permissions for read/write. Recommend doing the following to ensure they are set correctly:

sudo chmod -R 775 /var/hda/files
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

vsvsvs

Postby vsvsvs » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:17 pm

hmm, still no luck :(

oddly enough though, if I run the script with the stop command so the local shares are unmounted and then run it again with start it mounts read only. It only is writeable when I restart the system... (of course, writeable but not deletable)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:53 am

If greyhole.conf file is missing, then there is a problem. Can you check again? Might need to do it like this:

sudo vi /etc/greyhole.conf
Also check the hda install log in the /root directory.

Also I was having problems with Greyhole on a test system. Turned out the issue was the Amahi install did not complete successfully. Everything else was working except Greyhole.

I ended up doing a reinstall. What I had to do prior to that was:

sudo apt-get update

That ensured the latest packages were available for the Amahi install. I presume you followed the install instructions at http://docs.amahi.org. Amahi has to be installed on a virgin Ubuntu 12.04 without third party add-ons or updated packages.

If you have already done a complete update, a new install I am afraid will require the OS be reinstalled as well. Amahi does not install correctly on an existing updated Ubuntu system.

One other thing. You are not trying to delete from the shares via /mnt/samba/sharename, right? You should be doing it via /var/hda/files/sharename. The mount_shares_locally is only necessary if you are messing with files from the HDA itself as a client.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager