Multiple installs and server names

genel

Multiple installs and server names

Postby genel » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:59 pm

I have set Amahi up in a virtual machine. I will probably mess with configuration and set it up again. Is there any problem with setting up the "same" server multiple times?

The question I have been searching for an answer to in the wiki and the forums with no luck is this: How do you set the server name? "HDA" does not fit in my machine naming scheme.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Multiple installs and server names

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:10 pm

Best not to use the same install code for multiple VMs. Things will get confused if you do.

As for the hostname, you can change it however it will always be recognized as hda in respect to the dashboard (http://hda) and files access (\\hda) for clients.

See the tutorial at for changing the hostname.

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-serve ... onfig-3-p3

See the second part of 7, the /etc/hosts part.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

genel

Postby genel » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:20 am

Thanks for replying. I assume that what I will need to do is apply for another server code to reinstall.

As for the name what I wanted to change is the Samba server name (that is the \\hda name). If that is not possible, its a real issue for me, but I had about concluded that it is a problem since it seems to be the issue when installing two HDAs on the same network.

Do you know if there is any other front end to greyhole, that is my primary interest at the moment.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:34 pm

Thanks for replying. I assume that what I will need to do is apply for another server code to reinstall.
Yes that is correct.

Code: Select all

As for the name what I wanted to change is the Samba server name (that is the \\hda name). If that is not possible, its a real issue for me, but I had about concluded that it is a problem since it seems to be the issue when installing two HDAs on the same network.
Not sure if that is possible. The HDA is replicated in several places and I do not know exactly where. You can differentiate multiple HDAs via the FQDN, i.e. \\hda.home.com and \\hda.home2.com or whatever you choose for domain names. They cannot have the same domain name or their will be conflicts.

Do you know if there is any other front end to greyhole, that is my primary interest at the moment.[/quote]

There is another front end from the Greyhole author, but it is not recommended for Amahi. Since Greyhole is integrated with Amahi, the front end relies on certain specifics for the same. Adding a different front end could break it.

What don't you like about the Amahi front end to Greyhole? It does pretty much the same thing the other one does from what I have seen.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

theophobus

Postby theophobus » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:57 am

Why do you need 2 greyhole pools? If your first hda do not have enough space for your hd`s simply mount them to your hda and you are done. One hda that does all the server work and some disks in a dumb box, IMHO less configuration work.

genel

Postby genel » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:15 am

I messed with Amahi some more last night. So far the only thing I really hate is not being able to set the server name. I am still exploring my options for my new server. I like to explore my options before really committing to something, that is why the virtual machine set up. I asked about another front end from the point of view of setting greyhole up directly instead of using Amahi. Right now I am shying away from that, you guys have done a lot of work and I would like to take advantage of it.

There are things I would like access to through the front end that I have not found yet, like the storage selection algorithm or removing a drive. Also I find the warnings pretty dire, I am considering committing the pictures of my grand children to this thing for storage and warnings like "This feature is under heavy development" do not give me warm fuzzy feelings. I will have more messages on this subject.

I have been working with and developing software on Unix like systems for 30 years and I have ALWAYS hated the way its configured with a bunch of text files that you can screw up with very little effort. I prefer to use a configuration tool if I can. So I am interested in the most complete tool that will let me manipulate everything about a program, without ever opening a text editor or even a command prompt.

@theophobus: my reference to two servers was to indicate that I had really looked for ways to change the machine name before I asked, not to indicate my interest in actually running two. I can think of a reason I would want to: I might set up a second system in a second virtual machine to torture. (Yes, I like to torture software, to see how hard it can be pushed before it falls over and dies. But it's not the kind of thing you do to the file system storing your family photos.)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:53 am

Unfortunately there is not a front end for everything with Amahi. To add/remove drives from the storage pool, you can do that vi the dashboard.

For actually removing drives from the system, it requires command line. Not sure if a front end exists to do much more. You might consider checking the Greyhole web page for more info.

There are some things that are still command line driven. Ideally it would be nice to have a GUI for all things, but that is not currently possible. We may get more done some day, but our all volunteer team is quite small.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

genel

Postby genel » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:20 pm

In the end I had to change the domain name, which means a reinstall anyway, so I just did it over.

The process of deleting an old server and adding a new one worked very well.