Several Questions around post install and setting up DNS etc

nickpinn

Re: Several Questions around post install and setting up DNS

Postby nickpinn » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:36 am

Reinstalled again and works well. But keep hitting snags and i think, they are all user driven. Part of the problem is not being used to the setup convention of amahi.

I installed my new hard drives.
I installed apps.
I changed ssh settings.

And i applied all updates that showed as needing updating (is this the wrong thing to have done?)

Now, No DHCP leases show up in the dashboard. It is definitely dolling them out, as i tested it all and turned off DHCP on my router.

So im stuck as to why? Is it my fault for updating ubuntu after amahi install?

Also, if i type (using example as the name)

example.yourhda.com into a url from outside my network, is this supposed to take me to my HDA dash? This doesnt work for me at present if it should.

And finally I cant map to Samba shares - says credentials arent valid?

Hmmmm.

I'm invested in Amahi, as i shelled out for $25 credit in the store as i like supporting these projects.

If you can get me up and running I'll write a user do's and dont list for the wiki to help other users like me (aka donuts)

BlackSmith

Postby BlackSmith » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:54 am

I'll offer some simple things to check here. No intent to insult anybody's intelligence but this is what I'd look at first with the issues you describe.

As for BlackSmith.yourhda.com (in my case) not being accessible to the outside world, ensure that port 80 is forwarded by your home router to the local IP address of your hda. So if you've given your hda the static IP address of 192.168.1.2, then your router needs to forward port 80 to 192.168.1.2. This will expose your dashboard to the rest of the universe, so anybody that is able to gain your admin user password will have complete control of your hda. I limit it to ssh (port 22) as I am relatively comfortable working with the command line.

Samba credentials: when you mount your samba shares in linux, you need to supply a username and password. I believe that Windows asks you to provide that when connecting to the server. I use a second user I've created to avoid having to store my uname and password in /etc/fstab, but you can use the first amahi user name and password if you're comfortable with that. If you are sure that you are using the correct Amahi username and password, then I'm out of answers. The point is that the username and password you supply at the client side needs to be an amahi username and password (for the client to use to connect to the samba server).

I can't help you with why the DHCP leases aren't showing up on the dashboard. Mine appear to be working and I've never tinkered with them beyond turning off DHCP on my router.

Hope I provided some help.

BlackSmith

Postby BlackSmith » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:02 am

One tip that is not part of the official Amahi recommendations but that I believe in: if you are using greyhole storage pooling, move your landing zones to someplace that is NOT your root partition.

Once you get your hda running smoothly and configured the way you want it to be, you might think about moving your landing zones. With greyhole storage pooling enabled, the landing zone is the "share location" that is defined for each of your shares. The default is /var/hda/files/[name of the share you chose]. This is on the root partition in the default setup.

With greyhole running, when a file is saved to a share, it initially lands in the share location (aka landing aone). Greyhole then picks it up, copies it in accordance with your settings (to one or more places, depending on the number of extra copies you set for it) and then makes a symlink to the new location in the storage pool. If greyhole stops for some reason, then the files you save to your landing zones just stay there, potentially filling up your root partition and thereby rendering your hda inoperable. That happened to me when I was running greyhole without amahi. Watchdog (running by default in amahi) will likely make that harder to miss than it was on my previous server, but it seems to me to be a good practice none the less.

Instructions for moving your landing zones can be found here: https://github.com/gboudreau/Greyhole/w ... andingZone

Hope this is useful.

nickpinn

Postby nickpinn » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:27 am

That does help. Seems when i added my new drive the shares were lost. In the directory there is only a new one i created and then I can mount that.

Thanks

Now, only the DHCP issue remains??

Output of ls -l on /var/lib/dhcp/

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 25 17:04 dhclient.leases
-rw-r--r-- 1 dhcpd dhcpd 4609 Sep 24 19:25 dhcpd.leases
-rw-r--r-- 1 dhcpd dhcpd 4200 Sep 24 19:02 dhcpd.leases~

Anything look wrong?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:37 am

The DHCP issue was a problem in the past, but should have been resolved. You might consider checking the logs for clues in /var/log folder.

You can submit a bug report in our issue tracker.

http://bugs/amahi.org
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

nickpinn

Postby nickpinn » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:39 pm

Thanks. I submitted a bug. When i check logs, the otput gives me these files: Are any of these applicable?

alternatives.log dpkg.log mysql.log
amahi-app-installer.log news
amahi-sync.log faillog openvpn-status.log
apache2 fontconfig.log php5-fpm.log
apt fsck pm-powersave.log
auth.log gdm pycentral.log
boot greyhole.log samba
boot.log hda-updates.log speech-dispatcher
bootstrap.log hp syslog
btmp installer sysstat
ConsoleKit jockey.log udev
cups kern.log ufw.log
dist-upgrade lastlog unattended-upgrades
dmesg lightdm upstart
dmesg.0 mail.err wtmp
dmesg.1.gz mail.log Xorg.0.log
dmesg.2.gz monit.log Xorg.0.log.old
dmesg.3.gz mysql
dmesg.4.gz mysql.err

BlackSmith

Postby BlackSmith » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:54 pm

Sorry I'm not familiar with where Amahi DHCP or networking issues would be logged.