Several Questions around post install and setting up DNS etc

nickpinn

Several Questions around post install and setting up DNS etc

Postby nickpinn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:08 am

So, I installed Amahi ubuntu last night but ran into several problems. Googling brings up a mixed bag of answers and im struggling a bit, so before i give up and switch back to a pure ubuntu install I thought i would seek your help!

I'll list questions out:

1) I Installed on a 250gb drive, and mounted my 2TB drive and my 1TB drive as say /data 1 and /data 2. I installed amahi but it asked for password again during installer and now after installing keeps popping up with an error about software, even after updating. Is it ok to do it the way I did it. I just dont want to get into a complex mounting issue later on (software was on /usr/var/aptn i think.

2) Once installed, am i right that i need to change my pc's DNS servers to the amahi ones? What are the DNS servers to use? My router wont allow me to change DNS there.

Once Ive done that, presume i can type say home.com and get to the HDA.

3) I ran into a problem where I could log in to the HDA with my username and psswd but if i tried to login to webmin or ssh on to the server, or xrdp on to it, i would get access denied errors. Seems it wont accept my user or password on these but will on HDA?

4) The shares on Amahi werent visible to my windows box, anything i have to do?

Thanks in advance

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Several Questions around post install and setting up DNS

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:47 am

1) I Installed on a 250gb drive, and mounted my 2TB drive and my 1TB drive as say /data 1 and /data 2. I installed amahi but it asked for password again during installer and now after installing keeps popping up with an error about software, even after updating. Is it ok to do it the way I did it. I just dont want to get into a complex mounting issue later on (software was on /usr/var/aptn i think.
Install OS and Amahi with only one drive connected. You mount the additional drives afterwards using the wiki guidance below.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Adding_ ... o_your_HDA
2) Once installed, am i right that i need to change my pc's DNS servers to the amahi ones? What are the DNS servers to use? My router wont allow me to change DNS there.

Once Ive done that, presume i can type say home.com and get to the HDA.
Not quite. Turn off your router's DHCP and make the HDA do the work. Once you renew the client PC IP addresses, they will all use the HDA DNS server. Then to get to the dashboard it's just http://hda.
3) I ran into a problem where I could log in to the HDA with my username and psswd but if i tried to login to webmin or ssh on to the server, or xrdp on to it, i would get access denied errors. Seems it wont accept my user or password on these but will on HDA?
The login for Webmin is listed in the special instructions. They are displayed after install in the box with the URL and uninstall button. Webmin user name is your first admin user and it's password. That is the one you created initiall in Ubuntu.
4) The shares on Amahi werent visible to my windows box, anything i have to do?
Once you follow the steps to question 2, the should appear as \\hda in the Windows explorer or you can enter that in the search box or run as box.

Hope this answers your questions.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

nickpinn

Postby nickpinn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:54 am

Thanks, I thought that was the case.

One more Question. I purchased the VNC app but all i get is a black or grey screen.

Does the VNC app create a gnome desktop or does it let me share the desktop of the unity install on ubuntu?

IF it doesnt let me use the unity one, is there any point to installing with gui, or should it be server install and vnc app.

Cheers

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:06 am

Is this desktop or server version of Ubuntu? It uses the existing desktop unless you have installed server, then it installs one for the app to use.

We have heard of some issues, but the appear to have been isolated so far and not reproducible.

Check the /var/log/amahi-app-installer.log for errors. The app should work out of the box. Ensure you check out the special instructions for it as well. Go to apps, installed, and expand the app to see them.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

nickpinn

Postby nickpinn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:58 am

thanks, its the desktop version i used.

Whenever i used ubuntu headless media servers were harder to setup and some funtionality was lost.

Would i lose any functionality using the amahi server version? which do you use?

thanks again

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:06 am

For VNC, desktop version is probably best. I use the server version, but have no need for VNC. I use SSH as there is no need for desktop in my opinion unless you want another desktop client.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

nickpinn

Postby nickpinn » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:06 am

So i tried vnc with the desktop version, but the server status was red on the dashboard.

I reinstalled with the server version, installed the app, and tried again. Didnt work. Keep getting a red light and that the vnc server isnt working.

Any ideas?

nickpinn

Postby nickpinn » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:18 am

Restarted again and it works. But, It says the server refused the connection. Im using ultra vnc viewer?

nickpinn

Postby nickpinn » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:56 am

Aaaand, im an idiot. Managed to sort it.

But Gparted wont work or webmin so im starting over again. Doh

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:00 am

Please let us know how it goes.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager