Greyhole is not smart about using diskspace

jeremyjjbrown

Greyhole is not smart about using diskspace

Postby jeremyjjbrown » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:42 am

I added a drive to my HDA and Greyhole is not using the space dynamically. From what I can tell additions to hda/movies is the only thing that greyhole begrudgingly moves there(overnight when there is absolutely no space left on /var/hda/files and my shares are usless). Is there a way to have greyhole be intelligent about moving data to the enormous area of free space that it is totally ignoring? Am I going to have to manually manage this for each drive I add? My server says it's up to date.
Attachments
AmahiCapture.JPG
Screen capture of Amahi shares page
AmahiCapture.JPG (55.28 KiB) Viewed 3002 times
greyhole.txt
Text dump of the commands at http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Greyhole_troubleshooting
(1.7 KiB) Downloaded 210 times

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Greyhole is not smart about using diskspace

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:51 pm

Probably not the best idea to add /var/hda/files mount to the storage pool. Kinda redundant as all the shares are located there, then you tell it to make copies of files already there and put them in the gh folder again. Now you have the files stored twice, once as a symlink and once as a copy of the original file. Not for sure, but the Greyhole Attic is probably on that drive too so its taking up space. To empty it, as root user do greyhole -a.

I would recommend you exclude /var/hda/files from the storage pool or mv that folder back to the OS drive and mount that drive as nothing more than a Greyhole drive.

I am no expert, but that seems to work best for many. You can then set Greyhole to do max copies, putting files on the 2 drives and symlink on OS drive in the /var/hda/files shares area.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

sgtfoo

Postby sgtfoo » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:47 pm

yes, with /var/hda/files mounted and then re-allocated to the greyhole pool, it will continually shink itself to consumption...

lol

.. something many folks do as well when rum & coke is around... heheheheh
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch

jeremyjjbrown

Postby jeremyjjbrown » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:39 pm

yes, with /var/hda/files mounted and then re-allocated to the greyhole pool, it will continually shink itself to consumption...

lol

.. something many folks do as well when rum & coke is around... heheheheh

Yeah well, I won't be writing any love letters about the documentation either. But I need to fix this. So I've unchecked /var/hda/files from the storage pool. Is the Greyhole deamon going to move the files there to /var/hda/files/drives/drive1 or do I need to move them myself?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:48 pm

It should move them for you. You will most likely have to remove the gh folder on the /var/hda/files drive to reclaim the space once Greyhole runs and knows there are no files there. I would run a manual fcsk just to make sure it does move them. As root user, do

Code: Select all

greyhole -f
We know the Amahi documentation is a bit lacking. We need someone to jump in and help make it better. With our team being so small and all volunteer, we just don't have enough resources for all the work. If you would like to help, please let us know.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

sgtfoo

Postby sgtfoo » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:54 pm

start with a

sudo greyhole -fo
then see where the shares are....

Go into the terminal on the server and ls into /var/hda/files
See if there's a 'gh' folder there.
If a gh folder is inside /var/hda/files then you should pull (move, as in delete once copied) all those off of there and put them on a client PC, or a USB drive or mayb the /home folder if you have space.

Then you can mount the shares locally or from client computer and then put those saved files back into the shares, thus allowing samba and greyhole to move the files where they must be.
then do another

sudo greyhole -fo
Please take any precautions you feel necessary to safeguard your data before or during this process.
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch