Connect to Amahi VPN via Feat VPN?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Connect to Amahi VPN via Feat VPN?

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:01 pm

It only took me 5 minutes to set up OpenVPN fro Android. Bad thing about FeatVPN is you are limited to 1 hour with the free version. Have to pay $5 to get unlimited, although is not a lot, but still an expense.

If you would like to add guidance on FeatVPN, I can do the same for OpenVPN for Android. It is good for users to have a choice.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Curbuntu

Postby Curbuntu » Wed May 23, 2012 7:50 am

I have to admit defeat in getting the FEAT VPN / Google Voice combo to work while I was in Guatemala. And I don't think it was the fault of FEAT VPN, because I tested its VPN connection to my Amahi server using Steve Gibson's ShieldsUp; it reported that I was behind my home router.

It was when I tried to use Google Voice that the process fell apart. I had my wireless antenna off, lest I be charged outrageous roaming fees. But each time I tried to use Google Voice, it would report "service unavaiable"; by which think it meant that it couldn't touch a carrier signal before proceeding. But having never used Google Voice outside the USA, I probably missed something. Any input would be appreciated, as I have another trip to Costa Rica coming up in less than two months.

ciscoh

Postby ciscoh » Thu May 24, 2012 3:42 am

Google voice uses a network connection to setup the call. It DOES NOT USE THE INTERNET TO COMPLETE THE CALL.

It requires your carrier connection to be available.

you should have GV setup to ask you if you want to use it, say no if you dont have a connection.

Curbuntu

Postby Curbuntu » Thu May 24, 2012 2:19 pm

Google voice uses a network connection to setup the call. It DOES NOT USE THE INTERNET TO COMPLETE THE CALL.

It requires your carrier connection to be available.

you should have GV setup to ask you if you want to use it, say no if you dont have a connection.
Thanks for setting me straight. All this time I thought it was a VOIP product. I shall have to look for a Linux-VOIP alternative.

rbmattis

Postby rbmattis » Wed May 30, 2012 1:49 pm

As a post-script, it took me a few more minutes of Futzing, but I got OpenVPN for Android up and running.
Not sure what the matter is but the connection seems to spontaneously hang in a way that other VPN connections to my HDA haven't.

Ideas?

w34p0n2m4n

Postby w34p0n2m4n » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:20 pm

I have an older unrooted android phone, so I can't use the built in vpn.

FEAT VPN also worked for me. Since this thread doesn't include all the details necessary to get it running, I'm including a breakdown of what worked for me.

I emailed FEAT and asked them to send me the same configuration file. This is the text:
remote XYZ.yourhda.com 1194
client
dev tun
proto udp
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
ca ca-cert.crt
cert AmahiHDAClient.crt
key AmahiHDAClient.key
comp-lzo
verb 3
auth-user-pass
Just put that into a text file (save it as a .ovpn) and replace "XYZ" with your unique name.

Then put these files into the same folder, so there are four files:
http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/VPNLinux

Then zip the folder and put it into the root directory of your phone's SD card.

After that you can just follow FEAT's instructions. I used ES File Explorer. After FEAT is happily connected, go to the LAN section and create a server with your HDA's IP and login information, just like you were on your home WiFi connection.

ES even has a built in media streamer so you can listen to music on your HDA over your phone's data connection.

Well, that's all I've tested so far, but it all worked beautifully the first time.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:40 am

I presume you don't have Android 4.0 or greater? This would be something good for the wiki if you could add it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

geo

Postby geo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:44 am

Hey! Good to know, but I am using Services from Kepard on my Samsung Galaxy. You can give it a try!