Amahi & Bind

rdagijones

Amahi & Bind

Postby rdagijones » Mon May 21, 2012 7:25 pm

I am not looking to double post on the forum. I just thought that this is a network issue that someone else may find it here and need it in the future:

I have 2 Amahi HDA's in the same network. This is what I am attempting to do:
1. I setup HDA#1 with a localhost "hda1.com" and an IP of 192.168.1.10.
2. Then I install Webmin on HDA#1 and go to "Servers > BIND DNS Server" and choose "Create Slave Zone" under "Existing DNS Zones."
3. Create a Slave Zone and call it "hda2.hda1.com" (Would that be a forward or a reverse zone, by the way?)
4. Now set up HDA#2 with a localhost "hda2.hda1.com" and an IP of 192.168.1.12.
5. Install Webmin on HDA#2 and go to "Servers > BIND DNS Server" and click on "hda2.hda1.com" under "Existing DNS Zones."
6. Click "Convert to Slave Zone" at the bottom. (Hopefully it will let me and allow me to set HDA#2 to point to "hda1.com" as its master server.)
7. Install any other apps on HDA #1 and HDA#2 at this point.
My specific questions: I have been told that if I make these changes with Webmin the HDA's will revert back. Is this so? Can I force HDA's to keep master and slave zone settings?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Amahi & Bind

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:47 am

I believe there are some things that Amahi does automatically. I am not sure, but you could try it and see what happens. If it changes back, then you will have your answer.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ciscoh

Postby ciscoh » Tue May 22, 2012 7:58 am

i am actually playing with this a little but am getting pulled with work stuff.

i think there is a way to make the changes permanent

rdagijones

Postby rdagijones » Tue May 22, 2012 3:07 pm

I installed Webmin on both servers. I changed HDA#2 into a slave zone and filled in the IP address for HDA#1 as its master. Then I went into HDA#1 and filled in IP address for HDA#2 as slave. I went into Webmin in HDA#2 and selected "Servers > BIND DNS Server > Check BIND Config" and received "No errors were found in the BIND configuration file /etc/named.conf or referenced zone files." How do I check in terminal to see if the changes are in effect?