DHCPOffer not being accepted

neesker

DHCPOffer not being accepted

Postby neesker » Tue May 15, 2012 9:54 pm

I recently installed amahi, but have yet to get it fully working. I am trying to have the amahi server act as both DNS and DHCP server for my network. However, I do not have any clients who accept the DHCPOFFER from my HDA. In /var/log/messages, my HDA is sending out DHCPOFFERs after it receives a DHCPDISCOVER from any of the client computers. Since it happens on both my linux client and windows client computers, I think it must be server based. My router is an Asus RT-N12 running DD-WRT. I have tried many different configurations, but no luck. Any help would be appreciated!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: DHCPOffer not being accepted

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed May 16, 2012 4:46 am

Hello,

Ensure you have turned off DHCP/DNS on your router. Also each client will need to be refreshed in order to see and accept the new DHCP lease.

If you still cannot get it working, recommend you try the network troubleshooter.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Network_troubleshooting
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed May 16, 2012 4:47 am

Weird. You have to describe the networking conditions in more detail.

Is the HDA behind some kind of non-bridged device?

or ..?
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

neesker

Postby neesker » Wed May 16, 2012 8:10 am

@bigfoot65 I definitely turned off router-based DHCP and DNS services. Each client has been refreshed, but when they look for dhcp info, they find none. When I look at the /var/log/messages log, it definitely shows my HDA offering DHCP to the various clients I have tried. But they clients never get the info :cry: I tried following the network troubleshooter, but without luck. When we reach the client part, it seems to assume clients get DHCP data.

@cpg I don't think I am trying anything fancy. I have my Asus RT-N12 running DD-WRT connected to a cable modem, my HDA, and my primary desktop via ethernet. I'm not sure how to check if the HDA or the router are non-bridged, but my limited googling on bridged network devices suggests that neither of them would have an issue. Are there any other networking detail I need to provide? Like I said, I am pretty new to this networking thing, please be patient with me!! :oops:

Thanks for the help!

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed May 16, 2012 2:19 pm

trying the networking troubleshooter "without luck" is not enough information to debug by, unfortunately.

the troubleshooter produces specific and details output to help diagnose the situation.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

neesker

Postby neesker » Wed May 16, 2012 7:12 pm

Sorry bout that. I get to step 9, when trying to nslookup hda.home.com from a client computer, and it fails. Attempting to refresh DHCP on both a linux and windows clients fail, and the clients don't ever get recognized on the network. What I mean is that the clients never get any DHCP or DNS info, and the router/HDA never see them as connected.

ciscoh

Postby ciscoh » Thu May 17, 2012 10:17 pm

is DD-WRT configured for VLANs?

if you see the server sending DHCPOFFER your conclusion that the problem is server related is misguided.

The common element in your scenario is the network.

What are the devices plugged into? The DD-WRT router?

If you have a hub or switch, try connecting the devices to that and the HDA. I would bet you get the DHCP lease.

neesker

Postby neesker » Thu May 17, 2012 11:54 pm

The devices are all plugged into the DD-WRT router. The router is currently configured for VLANs, with all devices on the same LAN (vlan0) except the cable modem (vlan1). vlan0 is assigned to bridge LAN. This seems to make sense to me, but idk. I don't have a hub or switch available, sadly. I might be able to borrow a friends for testing, but I ultimately want to use the router as well (allowing wireless access to the my HDA and the cool amahi features).

Thanks for the help ciscoh. I feel like a fish out of water when it comes to network stuff.

ciscoh

Postby ciscoh » Fri May 18, 2012 5:06 am

dont worry about it. i certainly dont know everything but i have been working on networks for a couple decades.

i am more than happy to help where i can.

if tou can install wireshark on your workstation and do a capture during the DHCP process, that would probably be helpful as well

neesker

Postby neesker » Fri May 18, 2012 11:43 pm

Bit of an odd update. I can now seem to use my HDA as a DHCP and DNS server for clients connected wirelessly. Still no luck on the wired clients, though. Any thoughts?