johnscott

home.com

Postby johnscott » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:01 am

I installed fedora and ran through set up

Home Domain home.com
Network 192.168.1.*
HDA IP Address 192.168.1.10
Network Gateway 192.168.1.1

From second computer http://192.168.1.10/ gets to dashboard.

However the jinzora link goes to http://jinzora.home.com/ which is an external site not what I want.

What do I need to do ?

Network settings

DHCP Lease: 14400 seconds
Router/Firewall Settings
Router Model: Not set up (Netgear not listed in drop down)
router.home.com 192.168.1.1
No dhp leases at this time
No static ips at this time

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: home.com

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:08 am

However the jinzora link goes to http://jinzora.home.com/ which is an external site not what I want.
That link is not an external site. Since your HDA domain is home.com, that is the link that it resolves to for the app. Now if you are not getting the Jinzora app, then you need to check a few things.

Is DHCP/DNS disabled on your router, using the HDA for this function? Also, you should be able to reach the HDA via http://hda and not use the IP. That is why the HDA does DNS. You have to release/renew the DHCP lease for clients or they will not be picked up by the HDA.

You might consider trying the network troubleshooter.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Network_troubleshooting

Amahi is not the typical server setup where you need to use IP address for access. It is designed to be reachable in your network via actual URLs.

The router setting feature in Amahi is not needed for most. That is why there are only a few models listed. You do not lose/gain any functionality by using it or not that cannot be done with the router admin panel.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

johnscott

Postby johnscott » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:17 pm

Using the Network Troubleshooter, I failed step 8 - HDA Dashboard accessible?. Here's a paste to help troubleshoot: http://pastebin.com/RRx57XUN

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:55 am

As previously asked, are the DHCP and DNS server functions of your router disabled? The HDA should be your sole provider for DHCP leases and DNS.

Since you can access the daskboard with the IP address, it appears to be a DNS issue. Also, did you renew the DHCP lease on your clients.

You might consider restarting your entire network as something is confused in it somewhere if parts are working and others are not.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

acchi369

Postby acchi369 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:32 pm

As previously asked, are the DHCP and DNS server functions of your router disabled? The HDA should be your sole provider for DHCP leases and DNS.

Since you can access the daskboard with the IP address, it appears to be a DNS issue. Also, did you renew the DHCP lease on your clients.

You might consider restarting your entire network as something is confused in it somewhere if parts are working and others are not.

I am having the same issue. My HDA is accessible when I use the IP Address but not when use the domain name that I gave it during installation. I've followed the directions and have turned off the DHCP Server function in my router. I do not see any settings for DNS server function in my router settings (it is a Linksys WRTG series) as far as I can tell. I have restarted the server and my laptop but I am still having the same problem. From what I can tell, it seems like this is a DNS settings error in my router. I will check once I get home and have a chance to play with it some more. Again, I am completely new to this so it is probably some small setting that I am overlooking. If you have any other ideas, let me know. I would really appreciate it!

radioz

Postby radioz » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:19 pm

Try and find the exact model number of your router and do a Google search for the model and 'dns disable'. There must be a way to turn it off.

ciscoh

Postby ciscoh » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:02 am

at the risk of starting a religious arguement.....

It would be much simpler to not use a real TLD in your setup.

If you use something like <yourdomain>.local you are far less likely to encounter any DNS conflicts and will make troubleshooting much easier.

Just a friendly tip from a Networking Professional...

:)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:04 am

Thanks for the feedback. Recommend you submit a suggestion via bugs <dot> amahi [dot] org. Explain your rationale for not using one.

We are always looking for feedback from IT professionals.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

ciscoh

Postby ciscoh » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:20 am

I am not sure i would call it a bug. I am just saying that home.com, for instance is a real internet domain. It is unlikely anyone would want to get to it but it is a real domain nonetheless.

If i were connected via VPN and wanted to connect to a device on my network at home...let's say my myth tv server.

I would ssh to mythtv.home.com. Since i am on the VPN, i am outside the home network. i am likely going to use my internet DNS servers assigned to me by the network i am on before the DNS on the HDA. This would fail since, i assume, there is no mythtv.home.com on the internet, but there is an answer from the real home.com domain servers.

If i use home.local, this will fail on the internet servers, so my VPN client should send the request to the servers given on the VPN connection.....the HDA.

This is common in the corporate network and VPN world. Most companies have a internal TLD they use. Like...amahi.int or amahi.local that resolves devices not reachable by the outside world.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:31 am

I did not intend for it to sound that way. The bug tracker is also used for feature requests and suggestions. It is the easiest way for us to keep track and allocate resources.

I might be mistaken, but it seems like the last time I VPNed into my server, I was able to access apps using the internal domain. That may be due to the fact that I use the Amahi Dynamic DNS, not sure.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager