RAID mount point suggestions

logdrum

RAID mount point suggestions

Postby logdrum » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:16 pm

Hi

I am just starting my Fedora Build and I have an external SATA raid. Where does Amahi reside or specifically where all all the backups and files that Amahi controls stored. The reason is I need to specify a mount point for my RAID which I will be filling up with huge files later. I guessed /var but not too sure.

Thanks

jfrenc14
Expert

Re: RAID mount point suggestions

Postby jfrenc14 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:25 pm

/var/hda/

logdrum

Postby logdrum » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:21 pm

Thanks

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:15 am

i would suggest

Code: Select all

/var/hda/files
as a better mount point.

/var/hda contains code and all, so if you want to manage the data in the disk, you have to contend with breaking the whole platform.

whereas /var/hda/files contains only data, generically speaking, so moving it should not break things.

to be completely honest, after some use, things may still break if /var/hda/files mount point is removed, though at least our "native" amahi apps try to cope with data changing under the apps.

this is not really tested or designed against, so perhaps it's better to say that it's not supported. :(
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

logdrum

Postby logdrum » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:15 pm

I understood that so I choose /opt instead and then I may just reconfigure the amahi file locations via hard and soft links.. unless it's reconfigurable. I installed on 64 bit and looks like it installed. Do not know if it actually works
:) It's Chrismas. need to do a bike ride and then watch movies with the kiddos.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:16 pm

that didn't come out right ...

i think /var/hda/files is probably a better idea, because apps (for the time being) will be looking there for media.

the layout expected at this time looks like this in /var/hda/files:

Code: Select all

backups books docs movies music pictures torrents
i myself do have a separate (and large) disk mounted there.

like i mentioned before, as things mature, the thought is to label shares with tags for various content types (music, movies, books, pictures, docs, ...) and then have apps automatically pick up the media they work best from the tags, no matter where the disk is mounted. this would make things really flexible.

what i meant was that you should not expect to be able to move the disk around and expect things to just work automatically yet, that is what's not supported. (sorry it did not come out right before)
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

logdrum

Postby logdrum » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:37 pm

Hey cpg thanks!

Everything is now in opt. I figured if the enclosure dies, the OS is still alive. OS is mirrored and data is RAID 5. I am still keeping my little. NAS world books for really important stuff like my wife's email whose business depends on a lot.

I got the things I need working on the Fedora 64 bit (crossing fingers). Since I have a new laptop for work every couple years, I never really got anything new since late 2001. I do have a have 2006 IBM net station that I resurrected recently (needed hard drives and it just sat there since November 2006), so will be the Windows Development. Wifey and kids have laptops and Macs, so we really do not use any desktops now. My Linux build is from new parts though -- Quad Core CPU, 4 gigs RAM. mirrored RAID on the little Shuttle XPC box and this eSATA enclosure that is now filled with 5 1TB drives. I bought 2 extra drives and tested the software build rebuild as well. So far it works. And it is small and quite. I am backing up this little WD Books and so far the only thing that's saturated it the NIC and the CPU's are not even going above 8%.

One thing I discovered was XFS the way to go for the RAID enclosure. For home use with all these videos and raw files from the camera it just makes sense. The PBA as well works really fast when using the XFS formatted folders. I should have used it for the OS too but anyway. Two days burnt is enough!!!!

Everything is good now I hope on 64 bit.

logdrum

Postby logdrum » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:56 pm

One last thing since I have not done any apache or ruby or php work? Where do I set the password protection for the hda console.... looks like it's somewhere other than http.conf

Thanks again

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:38 pm

x86_64 is not well supported at the moment (lack of hardware for testing)

also, there is no password protection for the setup pages. it's in the roadmap to be added.
however, you can add a .htaccess file in /var/hda/platform/html/public to control access.

sorry :(

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:02 pm