Roku Server

agwerschky

Re: Roku Server

Postby agwerschky » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:08 pm

okay,

1. I'm using http://roksbox.home.com as the address.
2. It will also only list movies that are in .m4v or similar formats...just making sure your movies are in the right formats.
3. Did you make sure to switch the roksbox setup from xml mode to directory mode?

Let me know if this works!

mjclarke

Roku Server Setup

Postby mjclarke » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:12 am

Hey guys.
I'm pretty new to Linux/Fedora and Amahi, so I'll try to give you the most info I can.

I went through the tutorial on Roksbox.com and the tips on this page, and still have had no luck getting roksbox to work. I have the web app created, changed permissions of html folder and set up 3 links in the html folder pointing to my music, photo & movie shares, as explained above. When I go to http://roksbox or http://roksbox.clarkehda.com, from my pc or hda, no dice. Nothing on the Roku box either, It says "parsing directory" and then kicks back to the main menu (after I went through media & set up wizard).

I'm thinking that I don't have the web app set up right. The tutorial on roksbox.com talks about installing apace, but my understanding is that is already installed since it's in my running servers tab in the hda setup. I'm a little confused on properly setting up the web apps, do I need to do anything in Apache, or in the roksbox web app to "enable" it?

I'm sure you probably need some more specific information, but I'm kind of stuck on what to do next. Any help would be appreciated.

I really like amahi so far, and was psyched to learn that I could stream my media to the 2 roku's in my house.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:48 pm

Did you follow any guidance in the Amahi wiki? You mentioned setting permissions on the html folder. For Amahi, the folder has to be owned by apache:users.

If you have a link to the guidance you followed, I might be able to assist. Adding 3rd party apps can be tricky if you are not somewhat experienced with Linux.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

mjclarke

Postby mjclarke » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:09 pm

Thanks for the reply, I went back through it again, and I must not have changed the permissions of the html folder before. Now it comes up with the 3 links I created (movies, music & photos) that point to those shares on the HDA. Music plays, photos show up in the browser when clicked, so that is all good so far. But I still can't get the Roku to see the files. I went through the set up as explained in RoksBox Setup, both putting in the aliases as the folder path, and leaving blank. In both scenarios, when I select "My Videos/Music/Photos" it says "Parsing directories" for a second or two, then kicks back to the main menu. I don't have a root folder (they called "media" in the tutorial), the links are directly in the html folder. Frugal mode is on in the setup. I'm using roksbox.clarkehda as my web server address, as it didn't recognize the short name (roksbox/).

Do I need or should I have a root "media" folder? Should frugal mode be off?
Any suggestions?

mjclarke

Postby mjclarke » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:10 am

Got it. Stupid really, needed to reboot the Roku. Works fine now. Thanks for the support, Amahi does a nice job supporting their product, especially for a Linux & Server n00b like me!

OhTrisha

Postby OhTrisha » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:36 pm

I'm still having many of the same server issues. I'm not really understanding this coding jargon. :( That being said, I haven't been able to stream anything off my roku box. Totally frustrating! I have lots of media that I want to watch and I'm totally unable too. Arg! Is there anyone on here who can PM me and give me proper directions? I may find myself having to go to an electronics store (hh gregg, etc.) to see if anyone can help! It would extremely extremely appreciated! Sorry for posting on here so late.
Trish

ceayuso

Postby ceayuso » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:13 am

Not working for me either. I can see the folders in Firefox from another computer but the Roku displays "Parsing directory structure" then "Working" then kicks out to the main rokxbox page. Maybe roksbox doesn't work on a Roku 2 XS?

EDIT: I could not get Roksbox or Chaneru to work from our hda but MyMedia works fine. After setting up MyMedia, I modified /etc/rc.d/rc.local to start it at bootup by adding this line:

Code: Select all

nohup python /home/MyMedia/server/mymedia.py &

mgeglia

Postby mgeglia » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:56 pm

Works great! I can stream all of my media to the Roku via Roksbox and view on my TV. I have a Roku HD (not 2) so I don't know if this would work on the newer models. It takes a while to load my music library (2-3 minutes) which is about 2500 songs though. My video library is small (maybe 10 movies) so it loads faster but I imagine someone with a large video library would have the same problem.

I think someone mentioned it earlier, but this would be great as a 1 click app. I would've paid for it since I have no idea what I'm doing. I had to Google how to add directorys! That's how unfamiliar I am with Linux.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:44 pm

Submit is as an app suggestion on the Amahi web site.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

mgeglia

Postby mgeglia » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:34 pm

I submitted as a suggestion and also created a wiki page from the information I gathered on this forum so I can't take the credit. agwerschky did most of the heavy lifting. Thank you agwerschky. The wiki is here-

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Roksbox_for_Roku