whats the point

bigornas

whats the point

Postby bigornas » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:38 am

Im looking for an alternative for Freenas as Freenas seems not to support the spin down of my new 2TB Segate drives, and i prefer the media to be stored on ext4 than ufs.

I tested Ubuntu server with samba + transmission abd then I found the Amahi express CD

The instal is ok...i still dont get the need of the install code + the fact i took me 15 min to get it ...

I finally managed to get it and install Amahi....and i got really dispointed.

None of the apps installed/worked correctly
The control panel has no real control options...which leaves me to believe that a monitor and a keyboard sooner or latter will be needed.
No energy savings options out of the box
nothing on HDD Array
An app store seems to prepare me that someday I will pay to use.
A portal that monitors (?) the machine

did i install the correct version? what is the point of this install if need to install a full OS and still i cannot make all the chages remotely? As it is i dont see the advantage over an ubuntu or server box with those apps managed over ssh....

Regards

radioz

Re: whats the point

Postby radioz » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:43 pm

Did you log in to your hda from a web browser to: http://hda/ ?

That should take you to your control panel.

sag47

the point is..

Postby sag47 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:33 pm

Not everyone is a Linux guru. Normal people would look at a terminal and panic. The whole point behind the install code is to configure your system based on settings you choose during the setup process. If for instance you want your network to be 192.168.1.x then you get an install code. If you want your network to be 10.0.0.x then you get a different install code. The install code tells Amahi how you, as a user, want your system set up. It automatically sets up DNS, DHCP, Apache, and many other services (Such as samba for SMB access) and fine grained user control all through a web interface.

The app store or Amahi marketplace or whatever the heck they're calling it now-a-days is a place where users can get applications and servers. For instance mediawiki in a one click install, no compiling or anything from your end. Or a music server one click install. Or hundreds of other servers and services with just a one click install.

Will Amahi always be free? I have no idea because I'm not a core guy or involved with their planning. However as you say, these services can be set up by anybody. The only question would be technical skills. Which is where Amahi comes in as I stated before.

I use it because it's easy to set up. It's like using Ubuntu instead of Linux from Scratch. Sure I could compile everything myself and set up the entire system, bootloader and all. But sometimes I want to be lazy but still have those cool Linux terminal tools I love. So I use Ubuntu because it's easy to set up.

Anyway I think I've beaten this to death. By the way VPN out of the box is the shit.

SAM

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: whats the point

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:10 pm

bigornas,

I understand your frustration. Amahi is not for everyone. If you could provide some details on what apps did not work. Maybe some log files would help us diagnose the issue. Simply saying it don't work does not help us resolve issues.

There are many options it seems you desire that Amahi does not possess, so again it may not be the best fit for you.

It works well for many users, but those who are looking for more advanced features may not be satisfied. We work hard to make Amahi a simple home server, but we still have a ways to go. Please understand our core team is quite small and all volunteers.

We appreciate feedback and welcome help from the user community to make it better. If you are looking for a basic replacement of FreeNAS, Amahi is a viable choice. If you are looking for something that is all GUI driven, then you may want to look at other alternatives.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2