Super Slow SMB

finalbillybong

Super Slow SMB

Postby finalbillybong » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:48 pm

Hi there everyone. Total noob here!

Just finished installing Amahi to my nettop. Everything seems to be working ok expect my SMB transfer speeds are painfully slow using my Win 7 x64 rig. In the region on 1.5-3MB/s

The NIC in the server is not gigabit, only 10/100 I was under the impression that even that should be able to reach much higher than I'm getting.

I've yet to test the speeds out on my 'Mac' but I suspect it will be the same story.

Does any one have a suggestions that might help me? Or can I provide any more infomation to helo you help me?

Cheers guys!
Last edited by finalbillybong on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sag47

Re: Super Slow SMB

Postby sag47 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:52 pm

Are you connecting through wireless? The speed is what I would expect if you were connected through wifi 802.11g.

SAM

finalbillybong

Postby finalbillybong » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:14 am

No it's a wired connection using a gigabit NIC on The PC side.

I had a similar issue with freenas that I never could solve.

My transfer speed would fluctuate between 1MB/s to about 12MB/s.

apastor

Postby apastor » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:41 am

Maybe its a driver issue.

Can you transfer files between other PC's? Is that possible, if so, whats speeds do you get there?
Proxmox Server: Currently Not Running Amahi
CPU: AMD FX 6100 Six Core
RAM: 8GB DDR3
HDD: 4x1TB RAID10 (Adaptec)

finalbillybong

Postby finalbillybong » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:14 pm

That's not actually possible at the moment. My laptop is waiting for a new power adaptor and my 'Mac' is actually my PC hackintoshed and dual booted with Windows 7.

New lappy power adaptor should be here in a day or so, so I can try PC to PC transfer then.

On a side note, is there anyway to see the LAN transfer speed from inside the HDA control panel? I've just been estimating it from the speed Windows gives me when transferring files.

In FreeNAS you could get a graph of real time output and input speeds. Is there anything similar for Amahi? Or maybe an App I can install?

sjeuf12

Postby sjeuf12 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:28 pm

Hi,
I have the same problem, see another post on this board (SMB speed and guest user).
I also suspect a hardware problem. What type of processor do you use?

You can watch network speeds and such, but not from withing the dashboard.
Go to applications-system tools-system monitor.

I am using a full Gbit network (on both ends) and speeds drop to as low as 125kb/sec (!!)
Also the Fedora machine gets very slow in responding when a file transfer is active (processor is maxed to 100% load), even when opening the dashboard (or another application) while transfering

good luck

finalbillybong

Postby finalbillybong » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:57 am

The CPU is an Intel Atom 230 with only 512Mb of RAM. 2GB on the way though.

I used the Express Install and don't have a desktop environment installed so I can't use System Monitor.

kikkegek

Postby kikkegek » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:40 am

The CPU is an Intel Atom 230 with only 512Mb of RAM. 2GB on the way though.

I used the Express Install and don't have a desktop environment installed so I can't use System Monitor.
You can use "top" in an xterm to view the CPU load. I think there should also be some kind of command you can use for networkloads, but I am not familiar with it.

good luck!

sjeuf12

Postby sjeuf12 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi,
I do believe I got my speed problem sorted out.
It looks like my problems have been caused by a new, but defective, primary disk. (the disk that holds the OS)
I was already a bit alerted when this thing was being formatted and it took slightly over 60 minutes to completely install Fedora and Amahi.
Not knowing how to trouble shoot or bench mark this in Linux, I installed whs on it and sure enough that failed....
It's amazing that fedora and amahi initially succeeded in installing the OS and base software, but after the install things went quickly from bad to worse....
A file transfer basically also uses the primary section as Landing Zone for greyhole and if you are using a "bad" disc for that LZ, you can imagine what happens in file transfer speeds and system load.
(I think the system load increased because the system did try to locate a workable sector on that drive)

I replaced the disc with another and within 15 minutes I had it up and running and transferring files with a speed of 10Mb/sec +.
I now have to worry about changing my LZ. If you take in account that I am planning to transfer a complete WHS with some 10Tb of files, you can imagine that a Landing Zone of 4Gb will soon be full....specially if greyhole only transfers stuff from the LZ to the big drives on demand (manually) or at midnight.

I am getting there slowly. Sure hope this is useful for you.

br
Ser

sag47

Postby sag47 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:40 am

In the future you could test this using the dd command. Run the following command in the terminal as a normal user (not root).

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/zero of=./dummy
Wait for about 10 seconds and then press Ctrl+C or ^C and you will force the command to stop. After dd stops it will give you statistical information about the data which was transferred. Here's what mine looked like.

[sam@stealth ~]$ dd if=/dev/zero of=./dummy ^C1033529+0 records in 1033529+0 records out 529166848 bytes (529 MB) copied, 8.91536 s, 59.4 MB/s
Don't forget to remove the dummy file you created.

rm ./dummy
dd is also useful for zeroing hard drives using /dev/zero and scrambling them using /dev/random among other uses. But for what you want, dd is a great benchmarking tool.

SAM