File available in fs but missing from HDA pool [SOLVED]

SebaD

File available in fs but missing from HDA pool [SOLVED]

Postby SebaD » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:20 am

After a VERY long migration from WHS I am getting the following weird situation:
- if checking the file directly on server and it is available in the /var/hda/files/Movies/Movie1/movie1.mkv as symbolic link to /var/hda/files/drives/drive1/gh/Movies//movie1.mkv
- if using the HDA shares from a different machine the file is missing

Please advice.
Last edited by SebaD on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

lrevxl

Re: File available in fs but missing from HDA pool

Postby lrevxl » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:28 am

A couple questions. Is it just the one file or is it all the files that are missing when accessing the share via Samba? Can you post your /etc/samba/smb.conf?

SebaD

Postby SebaD » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:36 am

The missing file is in a folder visible from the second PC and there are other files in the same folder which are visible as well.
If I would have to guess the pattern, I would say that the large files are like this, although not all of them are missing...

Code: Select all

# This file is automatically generated for WORKGROUP setup. # Any manual changes MAY BE OVERWRITTEN # Amahi configuration, generated on Fri Jul 22 08:58:23 +0200 2011 [global] workgroup = dragonlair server string = dragonlair netbios name = hda printing = cups printcap name = cups load printers = yes cups options = raw log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log log level = 0 max log size = 150 socket options = TCP_NODELAY preferred master = yes os level = 60 time server = yes unix extensions = no wide links = yes veto files = /*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/ security = user username map script = /usr/share/hda-platform/hda-usermap large readwrite = yes encrypt passwords = yes dos charset = CP850 unix charset = UTF8 display charset = LOCALE guest account = nobody map to guest = Bad User wins support = yes printer admin = root, @ntadmin, administrator [homes] comment = Home Directories valid users = %S browseable = no writable = yes create mask = 0644 directory mask = 0755 ........... [Movies] comment = Movies path = /var/hda/files/Movies writeable = yes browseable = yes create mask = 0775 force create mode = 0664 directory mask = 0775 force directory mode = 0775 guest ok = no dfree command = /usr/bin/greyhole-dfree vfs objects = greyhole ............

lrevxl

Postby lrevxl » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:59 am

I'm assuming that
- if checking the file directly on server and it is available in the /var/hda/files/Movies/Movie1/movie1.mkv as symbolic link to /var/hda/files/drives/drive1/gh/Movies//movie1.mkv
Should actually read
- if checking the file directly on server and it is available in the /var/hda/files/Movies/Movie1/movie1.mkv as symbolic link to /var/hda/files/drives/drive1/gh/Movies/Movie1/movie1.mkv
Yes?

So, more questions. What type of machine are you using as a client, Windows 7? Is the file above a new file? (i.e. recently added compared to the files that are visible)

If you try to connect to the share via a different machine than the one above, do you see the same issue?

SebaD

Postby SebaD » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:38 am

Your assumption is 100% right regarding /Movie1/movie1.mkv

#ls -al lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 133 Jul 25 19:19 Movie.mkv -> /var/hda/files/drives/drive1/gh/Movies/HD/Movie1/Movie.mkv lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 137 Jul 6 00:18 Movie.mkv.sfv -> /var/hda/files/drives/drive4/gh/Movies/HD/Movie1/Movie.mkv.sfv lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 137 Jul 25 19:19 Movie.srt -> /var/hda/files/drives/drive1/gh/Movies/HD/Movie1/Movie.srt
All the files have been copied same time (we are talking about the movie and the subtitles for them).
Yes, the client is Windows 7. Since some files are visible, I would guess the OS doesn't have much importance, but I'm a noob in Linux world...

srt and sfv are fine, the actual movie is not. But this is not a 100% pattern...

lrevxl

Postby lrevxl » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:45 am

The OS may be important here. I haven't experienced this issue myself, but I found the following things with a quick google search:

http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/samb ... 48781.html
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 3a62e1d59f

This is why I'm curious as to whether the file is visible if you access the share from another system. It could still be Windows 7, it would just have to be a host which hasn't already accessed the share.

SebaD

Postby SebaD » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:57 am

Now I have noticed that sometimes the missing files are visible from Win7, sometimes not. I'm really not able to find any pattern here...

Whom should I fire ;-) , what should I do?

SebaD

Postby SebaD » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:27 am

Thank you very much for the really quick answers!

As strage as it seems, it got fixed by running on each share

chmod -r 777
I don't know if it's a fluke or permanent solution.
Fore the time being, it SOLVED.