password length

cvanaalst

password length

Postby cvanaalst » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:37 pm

I need a longer password; in Amaha you can only create a password of max 12 length; in my current network with several windows-machines I have users with passwords up to 14 char length. Is it possible to change the length of the user-password in Amahi ?
I've installed WEBMIN and manually changed the user password to the 14 long password, but that doesn't do it. I kind of remember that Samba uses its own passwords and does not take the unix user passwords ...
Is there a simple way of changing the length of the passwords Amahi accepts or manually changing the samba password afterwards ?

thx,

from FreeNas to WHS, but looking into Amahi to drop WHS

Chris

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: password length

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:46 pm

If ya wanna change the password length, in Webmin you have to ensure the Samba and Lunix user is synced. Not sure if there is a place to change the length setting. Might be a Fedora limitation.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

dr2chase

Postby dr2chase » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:30 am

I agree, a 12-character password limit is unacceptably short. Rainbow tables would make short work of that.

And how do we sync up the Linux and Samba users? Can they both use LDAP?

(And understand, though I have a propeller-beanie-hat I can wear, I am viewing this as a customer. Why should I need to change my password in more than one place, and why should they have different length restrictions? (Speaking as a user...) what idiot would design a system like that? Can we fix this?)

jritchie

Postby jritchie » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:20 am

I just ran into this issue myself and spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out the issue as I saw no password length restrictions in the install instructions. This needs to be made a priority and fixed. Also, a notice should be added to the install instructions regarding this.

What are the technical limitations here?

I know you guys are busy so how can I help? I would be happy to assist with updating the install instructions or wiki and I can even hack my way through shell scripts and web code if it helps.

Thanks,
Jason

Amahi Express 6.1 64bit.
HP Microserver running Amahi Express 6.1 64bit

jritchie

Postby jritchie » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:01 am

ok I found the limitation in some of the user creation code and made changes. I am able to create a password of 25 characters now but there still appears to be an issue with files shares. I can log into the HDA control center though. I will need more testing to find out where the samba issue is. If the Devs have any hints, I'll all ears.

jritchie

Postby jritchie » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:58 pm

ok I have it fixed and tested on my server. I packaged up the patch in install script for anyone who needs a password longer than 12 characters up to 25 characters in length. You just need to extract it and run the patch.sh as root. This install assumes your HDA files are installed in /var/HDA......

Disclaimer: I am not responsible if it blows up your server so path at your own risk! Like I said it works fine on my server. The patch.sh only replaces 2 files. Also, there could possibly be an issue with some apps as I have only test a few such as extplorer, jinzora, mindterm,linfo, tin can jukebox, phpMyAdmin, loganalyzer.

Note: You will need to restart Apache after applying this.
Attachments
passlen.tar.gz
(1.43 KiB) Downloaded 155 times