What are my options ?

Strata700

What are my options ?

Postby Strata700 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:55 am

After getting my HDA up and running I have realised that its not set up in the best way for me !!

I have only 2 Drives (Motherboard Limitation) so I bought 2 Brand new 2TByte drives to give me as much storage as possible.

Options/ Question ?

Do I hardware raid my 2 discs before Fedora 14 install halving my capacity to 2 TByte but having some peace of mind about data safety and make /var/HDA as large as possible at partioning time and no pooling of my shares ?

OR

Do I follow Wiki install advice and have /Var/HDA use all remaining storage after Installing the OS on a portion of Disc 1 which I believe would then allow me to pool my shares.

I have read such a lot I am now uncertain whether the pooling gives me the safety/assurance I need that my data is as safe as possible for the media I want to stream from my HDA and the backups of my Win7 pc which I want to store there too.

ciscoh

Re: What are my options ?

Postby ciscoh » Sun May 15, 2011 8:03 am

Personally, using greyhole provides more than adequate data security. I think recovery of data is better in this case.

I would have a minimum of 3 drives in any HDA i build in the future. One for the main install and landing area, and 2 for storage and pooling.

I think the next HDA i build will be a little different. I have a small main drive (SSD). My landing area is only about 20GB. I think i want a minimum of 100GB and not allow pooling on that partition. I have been slowed down a couple times because my area was too small. Like when transferring large media files.

In your case, i would install on one of the 2 drives and maybe partition some space on the second drive to use as the Landing Zone. This way your 2 pool partitions will be closer to the same size.

Here is the Greyhole wiki page on LZ considerations.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Greyhole_landing_zone

CiscOH

Strata700

Re: What are my options ?

Postby Strata700 » Sun May 15, 2011 8:40 am

Personally, using greyhole provides more than adequate data security. I think recovery of data is better in this case.

I would have a minimum of 3 drives in any HDA i build in the future. One for the main install and landing area, and 2 for storage and pooling.

I think the next HDA i build will be a little different. I have a small main drive (SSD). My landing area is only about 20GB. I think i want a minimum of 100GB and not allow pooling on that partition. I have been slowed down a couple times because my area was too small. Like when transferring large media files.

In your case, i would install on one of the 2 drives and maybe partition some space on the second drive to use as the Landing Zone. This way your 2 pool partitions will be closer to the same size.

Here is the Greyhole wiki page on LZ considerations.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Greyhole_landing_zone

CiscOH
CiscOH,

Thanks and most timely as I was heading in your suggested direction, however I haven't read or understood the LZ aspects of this so will read the link and adjust accordingly before install.

Thanks again.