Amahi 6 beta

eldano

Amahi 6 beta

Postby eldano » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:38 am

It has been a long time now since I switched from F12 to F14 and Amahi 6.
Paying a small amount of money for a app that you can install with one click, that works, is not a problem for me. Saves me a lot of time for a bit of money.
But I noticed that there are no programs to install of any use, to me, for about a month now. This is because 95% of all apps are still in beta. I have a few questions about that:

1. Is there any way to know when beta apps will be released and become 'live'? Waiting till 'who knows when' is a bit of a drag.

2. Can I be a pro user for one month, install all the nice beta apps and then keep using and updating them even if my pro status runs out before the beta label of the app is lifted?
(Background: Personally I don't care about the advantages of being a Pro or Ninja member, although I can see the advantages to other users. I just want to gain some functionality to my non-HDA at the moment. And am not willing to pay monthly for that)

3. Will there be at any moment be the option to try programs before you buy? (Paying for good apps is no problem. Paying for (trying) bad ones is)

Thanks.

And a note of frustration.. Don't read on if you can't handle that ;-)
I had a nice working HDA in Amahi 5 and now with 6 I have a NAS.. Amahi6 may be released, but the apps make Amahi and all the apps are (still) in beta. So imo I installed a beta Amahi 6. And I can't use beta programs because I'm not a Pro or Ninja.. So.. I'm without a HDA atm. You only know what you have until it's gone, right?
And I feel as of Amahi is letting it's non-Ninja and non-Pro users down. I can not say that I'm the amahi ambassador that I one was. At the moment I can not advice people amahi, if they don't want the Amahi sync bit at $8~$10 a month. (which is good value if you need 50gb of online storage)

rpcollins

Re: Amahi 6 beta

Postby rpcollins » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:44 am

This is a good point. I was eager to update to Amahi 6, but once I realized that most of the apps that I use are still in Beta with no ETA to go live I have stuck with Amahi 5. I glad I didn't get ahead of myself and just end up with a NAS.

eldano

Postby eldano » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:16 am

Hey Rpcollins,

I wish I have your forsight ;-)
Glad that I could help you out.

Still hoping for some comment from the Amahi guys to help me out with my questions...
Or some apps to go out of beta.... .. .

Not realy feeling like installing prograns myself next to amahi or doing re-install of my server of some sort..

wilkinchang

Postby wilkinchang » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:22 pm

I agree with you eldano.

I also suggest that concentrate on fewer applications for the same purpose. For example, there are three bt software, like Torrentflux b4rt, transmission, utorrent. I think man power can be saved if just limit to one or two applications.

pikor69

Postby pikor69 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:41 am

Hello
I am really impressed with all of you staying so cool.

Is there any way to go back to Amahi 5 and install these beta applications ?

Please don't read further if you cannot handle it. :(

I am a new Amahi user. I was really amazed with all this idea when found it a few days ago. I installed it - ... and found it useless :( .

I do not see any reason to become a Pro or Ninja user and not a single one critical for me application is now available. The picture I see from a freshly joined person point of view is as follows:
- Amahi team moved to F14 and made most of the useful apps beta then introduced a payment plan to access them
- all the explanations from the team about lack of beta testers looks suspicious now and the initial trust I had in them is now deteriorating.
I hope it is not true but this is how it looks for a person joining Amahi, I see something deeply improper in all of this, but maybe it is just my frustration.

Kind regards
Piotr

ghstryder

Postby ghstryder » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:48 am

Troll much?

Don't read further if you cannot handle it.

I find it deeply improper that someone would *expect* to be able to use the fruits of another persons labor for nothing, but maybe that is just my frustration.

pikor69

Postby pikor69 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:39 am

Troll much?

I find it deeply improper that someone would *expect* to be able to use the fruits of another persons labor for nothing, but maybe that is just my frustration.
--

Not true - I have nothing against paying application fee, for repackaging, configuring and made them ready for Linux greenhorn like myself, hovewer I do not need anything connected to pro or ninja account. What can I do then ? I joined with enthusiasm and hit the wall. I think my hard feelings are understandable and I was trying to make a point that it looks strange for someone who just joined. I will wait patiently and see what will happen. I've seen no point in saying anything else but you call me troll and this is how I feel. Regards

ghstryder

Postby ghstryder » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:50 am

Troll much?
Not true - I have nothing against paying application fee, for repackaging, configuring and made them ready for Linux greenhorn like myself, hovewer I do not need anything connected to pro or ninja account. What can I do then ? I joined with enthusiasm and hit the wall. I think my hard feelings are understandable and I was trying to make a point that it looks strange for someone who just joined. I will wait patiently and see what will happen. I've seen no point in saying anything else but you call me troll and this is how I feel. Regards
No, you did not say it looked strange, you called it "deeply improper", stated that it looked suspicious and that your trust was deteriorating.
The devs are not stopping you from using the apps, you just can't do it *now* without purchasing one of the plans. Prior to the pay plans, access to betas was limited, one had to be added to the list of beta testers to be able to install the apps.

You stated you just installed Amahi "a few days ago", but you refer to an old version powered by a version of Fedora that is no longer supported by Fedora - it is well past the published end of life. https://lists.fedoraproject.org/piperma ... 02895.html

Coupled with your other comments, I call that a troll. If you were a user prior to F14/A6 and were using apps that you no longer have access to, I would certainly sympathize with your situation. In fact, I have made that very case with the devs.

What you might do instead of throwing stones is join the community. Spend some time in the forums, spend some time in the irc channel. Make a case for developing a method to access the betas that does not require you to pay for storage space and features you do not need. Perhaps make some positive suggestions to help them find a way to do that. I suspect your frustrations would be easier to deal with as well.