Amahi Installation Freezes at 30%

aseens

Amahi Installation Freezes at 30%

Postby aseens » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:37 am

Hi Everyone,

I am new to linux and as such had some challenges and learned a whole getting this far, but now Im stumped.

After 3 attempts I finally managed to install F14 and get the Amahi repository and reboot.

Next I clicked the Amahi installer desktop shortcut and entered my install code and clicked submit.

Everything was going great until 30%....and that is where it stopped.

I looked online and found a tip on the wiki( see below). but when I open a terminal and access as root and type tail -f /root/hda-install.log but was told the file didn;t exist. Has anyone encountered this issue?

Is it safe for me to reboot the system and try the install again, or will this cause issues?
If your installations freezes
Some times, package installation gets stuck at one number (10% or 30% ...).

This can be due to package installation from mirrors. The installer tries to pick the fastest mirror, but it may still slow. However, the installation still continues in the background. You can monitor it from a terminal as root as:

tail -f /root/hda-install.log
and wait until you see progress ... the last 3 lines of a complete log look like this:

Stopping NetworkManager daemon: [FAILED]
Stopping unused services done.
Amahi installed successfully! please reboot!
If they do, it worked we have a hard-to-trace bug in the installer - where it freezes at one percent number, but the installation works in the background! "

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Amahi Installation Freezes at 30%

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:46 am

It could be related to internet connectivity when the installer is trying to download packages.

What do you have to lose by reboot? Nothing really, other than maybe risking reinstall. Try again and let us know if you are successful.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

aseens

Postby aseens » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:39 pm

restarted the system, launched Amahi Installer again. Put in my install code, clicked submit and the system does absolutely nothing now. Just sits there

taifun89344

Postby taifun89344 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:56 pm

I have the same problem at 42%. Any clue?

got following in my hda-install-110418-230522.log
ERROR: Could not find a valid gem 'pluginfactory' (>=0) in any repository
ERROR: http://rubygems.org/ does not appear to be a repository
Missing the Rails 2.3.4 gem. Please `gem install -v=2.3.4 rails`, update your RAILS_GEM_VERSION setting in config/environment.rb for the Rails version you do have installed, or comment out RAILS_GEM_VERSION to use the latest version installed.
(in /var/hda/platform/html)
WARNING: cannot autoconfigure the network!
That's it!

Reboot does not help either. Just nothing happens when I try to re-initiate the installer. I used the DVD F14 installer as recommended.

taifun89344

Postby taifun89344 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:32 pm

I tried three times to get this installed. I give up and look for something else.

After retrieving the third code it now hangs at 0%. I can't even get a connection anymore.

majide84

Postby majide84 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:33 pm

Hi,

maybe you need to configure your network manually?

Code: Select all

WARNING: cannot autoconfigure the network!
Look at System ----> Administration ----> Network

Give eth0 a static ip, gateway, DNS and activate the interface.
You can change these things after you installed Amahi.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:16 pm

Not sure what is going on with install. If you could stop by the IRC, I am sure we could help fix the issue.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

papercup

Postby papercup » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:53 am

I have been having this, installed from scratch twice last night, and for me its that the Amahi installer gets to 30% (first time you run it) which is 'initializing storage pooling' and....it turns off the network interface! Then it can't download the necessary bits and bobs, and hangs.

So i buggered around and got the network working, which also lost me the network icon up by the clock :( , and rebooted, and started it again. This time it gets to 42%, same 'storage pooling' message, then hangs again. Network is off again.

So I get the card working again, reboot, then manually ran the following things from here:

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Install ... leshooting

which are:

As root, type this:
yum -y install ruby ruby-libs ruby-libs ruby-rdoc
also make sure you have the sinatra package:
gem install --no-ri --no-rdoc --version 0.9.4 sinatra

This puts the packages in the right place. Reboot, start installer AGAIN and this time it hangs and screws the network card BUT it must finish the install in the background as when I tried to finish the installer after yet another reboot, it says its already done. Sure enough, I can run the setup and add my pool drives and everything is perfect now.

Apart from I had to manually set-up my IPs, and I still dont have my network icon. But i can reboot all day and everything works afterwards.

Looking at the Troubleshooting page above there is a quote from the sys bods saying 'If they do, it worked we have a hard-to-trace bug in the installer - where it freezes at one percent number, but the installation works in the background!' - i think I have found that.

The installer breaks my networking halfway through. Everything else is trying to make it stay up long enough to finish the install.

Some background: I had an old Pentium 4 and have installed that 5 or 6 times, and can do it in my sleep now, it works every time. But its too slow and cannot handle 5x 2TB Samsung drives in Greyhole, it just crawls. So I bought a new system; Quad-Core 3.4GHZ Phenom, Asus Mainboard, M4A89GTD/PRO/USB3. This is the system that is screwing around above. Something in Amahi breaks the network interface during install. Whats weird is I have tried it with the onboard Realtek Gigabit NIC, and also with a very expensive Intel PCI-E x4 DUAL NIC. It disables both the same way.

Andy

papercup

Postby papercup » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:16 am

I don't know why Amahi disables my network connection halfway through downloading its packages on this new hardware, but not on my old Pentium 4 i did all my testing on, but there you go. Something for Amahi to fix perhaps, as I am not the only one affected on this thread, and I've cross-posted on 2 other threads, pointing them here.

I wanted to get this thing to install right from the word go, rather than just lucking my way through it with trial and error (and I had it running fine last night), so I've been wiping and installing from scratch today, twice so far.

First, I tried to manually download the packages BEFORE I ran the Amahi Installer.

(so run those two commands:

yum -y install ruby ruby-libs ruby-libs ruby-rdoc
gem install --no-ri --no-rdoc --version 0.9.4 sinatra

right after installing Fedora, in a root window). Then the Amahi install went through and completed successfully. I really thought I'd cracked it, and was very happy. It got to the end, asked to reboot......and its knackered. It boots OK, but none of the Amahi stuff is running and its all broken. Gave up, wiped it.

So now running it normally again, and have managed to watch it try install with the log file running. I must say, I don't know why on that troubleshooting page it says:

You can monitor it from a terminal as root as:
tail -f /root/hda-install.log

because it NEVER works. The file is never there. I typed GEDIT in the root window right after starting the install and used that to browse to /root/ and i see the log file appear and its actually called 'hda-install-110420-181224.log. So i type 'tail -f /root/hda-install-110420-181224.log' and it works and I can watch it and it stops at 42% and says 'cannot autoconfigure the network'. Thats where I am right now.

papercup

Postby papercup » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:55 am

OK, its sat there for an hour, its not going to work. Network icon has a red X on it.

OK, so we know it can't auto-configure it. I'll do it myself.

system > administration > network

See eth0 is inactive. Click on EDIT and put in my own settings which i know to be true:

IP: 192.168.168.4
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.168.1

DNS1: 192.168.168.4

Save and activate it. Check i can see a website. Go back into root command prompt window, still sitting like a lemon at 'cannot autoconfigure the network'. CTRL-C to stop it. Then type:

service amahi-installer restart

Watch it stop and then start the service, with OK on both. Then type:

hda-install <my-install-code>

Watch it go through the remainder of the install successfully (so it says) and asked to reboot.

(bear in mind this is all in the root command window, the localhost:2000 webpage is still sat at 42% all the way through this, I have just ignored it)

I say yes to reboot......