Roku Server

manerac

Roku Server

Postby manerac » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:56 pm

Looking for advice in setting up an amahi server for roku. It requires the files to be accessible from a webserver. Is that as simple as it sounds?

http://roksbox.wikispaces.com/

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Roku Server

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:05 am

Hello,

Yes, once Amahi is installed with Fedora 12 you have a web server. Is this a web app we can incorporate into Amahi? First look, it does not appear to be one.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

sjsoto

Postby sjsoto » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:47 am

Thanks for the idea, I will try to use this to stream to roku.
I will let you guys know if I'm successful.

mjrendon

Postby mjrendon » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:10 am

Any news on getting roksbox to work with Amahi? Looks like the roksbox requires http access to your media file(s) location.

agwerschky

Roku Server Success

Postby agwerschky » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:45 pm

I didn't see any sort of reply, so I thought I'd complete this.

This works with amahi, as my amahi is now streaming HD video to my roku using with the roksbox application.

The short instructions (if there's enough interest, I can definitely document further)

Go to HDA setup, webapps, New Web App Button (at bottom)

Name your new web app (I called mine roksbox).

get command line access to your hda box

Add directories for Music, Videos, Pictures under your new web app directory (look in web apps if your forgot its location)

Don't forget to change ownership of the directories!

Code: Select all

chown -R apache:users /var/hda/web-apps/APPNAME/html/
then what I did was use symbolic soft links in the Movies directory to link the Movies over to my /var/hda/files/movies

so:

ln -s "/var/hda/files/movies/movie cool.m4v"

should be run from within the Movies directory.

I know there's much, much cooler ways to organize and display the information in Roksbox, and they do charge you a one time $15 license (unlimited # of roku's for that price).

Hope this helps somebody out.

agwerschky

Postby agwerschky » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:44 am

Does anyone have a quick howto for packaging this as an app?

I know that the roksbox server is the hardest thing to make work, and this definitely has the potential to open up amahi to a new class of users.

I realized when setting this up, that the way I was going about it...linking each movie file...what kind of dense.

A MUCH better way is:

go to the /var/hda/web-apps/APPNAME/html directory in a terminal

as su:

ln -s /var/hda/files/movies ln -s /var/hda/files/music ln -s /var/hda/files/pictures

ghuiber

Postby ghuiber » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:08 pm

This did not work for me. The instructions are clear enough, thank you, but I'm still missing something and I'm not sure what that is. Here is everything I did successfully:

1. I set up a new web-app called Roksbox.

2. As root, I set up a Media folder as recommended at roksbox.com, with the subfolders Music, Photos and Videos. Into these subfolders I linked my movies, music and pictures folders that I had in /var/hda/files. I also changed the ownership recursively on these symbolic links to apache:users.

3. After I commented out the config file as instructed in the welcome page I saw when I browsed http://roksbox, I was able to browse the Media folder with all of its components, down to any song or picture I wanted.

4. I set up the Roksbox channel and then I set up my media source to the web server http://roksbox, with the frugal settings toggled off.

None of this made any difference. Roku could not see anything. Picking either Music, Videos or Photos gave me a brief flash of the message "parsing directories", and that was it.

agwerschky

Postby agwerschky » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:29 am

Curious.

Okay...can you get to each media file from the web browser? If you select them will they play?

If so, the issue may be the address that you're pointing the roku to. I'll check mine when I get home and let you know what mine is sent to.

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've added a subscription so I won't miss your reply.

ghuiber

Postby ghuiber » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:34 am

Thank you for writing back. Yes, from the browser (Google Chrome, Win 7 Pro, pointed to http://roksbox) I can see my music and if I click on it it will play. If I click on pictures, they will be displayed. But the Roksbox channel still won't work. It quickly flashes "parsing the directory" and that's it.

Thanks again,

Gabi

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:10 pm

This is some good stuff. It would be greatly appreciated if the install steps were added to the wiki.

We are hoping to make the wiki a gathering point for manual install of apps and other helpful info.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2