AmahiSync Questions

ciscoh

AmahiSync Questions

Postby ciscoh » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:28 pm

Is AmahiSync meant to be a replacement for Dropbox?

Is there, or will there be a windows based client to sync files from other machines?

cpg
Administrator

Re: AmahiSync Questions

Postby cpg » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:16 pm

It's a subset of the functionality of Dropbox: only one way, no incoming connections.

Re: windows client: It's a good idea and I'd like to see it one day, though basically all interactions you do with Amahi sync are from clients, so I am not sure I get this one completely.

There are a couple of things we will be adding to Amahi Sync first: ability to add other (non-public) folders (to do backups!) and integration into the dashboard.

Beyond that, it would be great to receive feature requests.

A big feature I like from Dropbox is having something to find the public URL of the file *easily*, immediately after adding a file (i.e. not having to get it at amahi.org, which is ok for browsing for not all the time).

NOTE: We are currently investigating why Amahi Sync is showing some signs of missing file events when combined with Greyhole. We had not tested this too thoroughly (only casually) and it turns out to be an issue.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

ciscoh

Postby ciscoh » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: windows client: It's a good idea and I'd like to see it one day, though basically all interactions you do with Amahi sync are from clients, so I am not sure I get this one completely.
I use Dropbox to share files with machines at work. I dont really want to create VPNs to my home network from them.

I have a 50gb account with DB now. Just considering moving that monthly charge if i dont lose too much.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:56 pm

I see. I think doing read-only client could be doable in a reasonable time (if there were sufficient interest).
I dont really want to create VPNs to my home network from them.
Clarify that one for me please. (Did someone change my coffee into decaf today??)
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

ciscoh

Postby ciscoh » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:06 pm

I see. I think doing read-only client could be doable in a reasonable time (if there were sufficient interest).
I dont really want to create VPNs to my home network from them.
Clarify that one for me please. (Did someone change my coffee into decaf today??)

With DropBox, i install it on my machine at work and the files i put in there the night before are there waiting for me. To do this without dropbox, i would have to build a VPN from that box at work to my HDA, map a share, and setup a sync of some sort.

That is aside from Amahi Sync. this is why a windows client to pull down files would be nice.