Linux newb, WHS converter

tstek

Linux newb, WHS converter

Postby tstek » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:00 am

I would peg myself on the higher side of the unix newbs having done a decent amount of networking and bash scripting in the unix area.
Long story short used WHS for awhile on an old P4, until the box took a crap.
Have an old acer aspire one netbook but couldnt get around the ide only install of WHS, so I went to a Windows OS to purely be a file server.
It did not meet all of my needs and I miss drive extender, #vailfail

Still in the very early installation phases of fedora 12 and I have some newb issues.
Obviously no CD/DVD drive on the netbook although I do have an external CD drive.
In my ignorant glory I tried a live install of 12 only to find I could not edit repositories.

After further reading documentation I found I needed the full install of F12, can this be written to a usb drive using some kind of pen drive linux maker?
Also before the install amahi asked for ip addresses, can these be changed later down the line? Because the box is not in its home yet

Final thought, I am also an aspiring programmer, so any help I could provide the dev community, would be an honor.

Good work guys.

kevmorris

Re: Linux newb, WHS converter

Postby kevmorris » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:52 pm

hi,

There are a few ways to install amahi i believe, but the recommended way is the way you are doing it. have a search on here/the wiki page because i think it has been done via usb. There is also the express cd which i think has a cut down version of fedora on it. Sorry im vague but im new to amahi myself

good luck

HHCosmin

Postby HHCosmin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:53 am

you can make fedora iso into a pendrive. there is some app... that runs on windows and fedora but i do not remeber it's name. ideea it's really simple to use.

the ip as far as i know is set in stone or sort of. you set it up when creating the hda on amahi webpage.

evylrat

Postby evylrat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:53 am

Unetbootin is the app I use for converting ISO to USB, although it doesn't always work, but pretty much most of the time.

HHCosmin

Postby HHCosmin » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:57 pm

fedora live usb creator