PBX

rgmhtt

PBX

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:46 pm

So it appears that work on FusionPBX is dead, for now. And I looked at their site and was not too interested.

I use to run trixbox. Did this for a couple years and was somewhat serious on doing VAR support. But various events caused me to back off.

So I did a bit of a review of the products and what I am interested in (eg T.38 endpoint support). I looked at FusionPBX, trixbox, FreePBX, and AsteriskNOW. For a few reasons I am selecting AsteriskNOW:

AsteriskNOW is directly supported by the Digium team and with ver 1.7.1 is running 1.6.2.11; practically up to date on what is in F14.
The ISO (I just downloaded it) is Centos 5.5
It uses FreePBX ver 2.7.0 (not far behind 2.8 and more current than trixbox)
It has proper support for Digium FXO cards (I have a couple).

So I will put up a AsteriskNOW server for now and see if it delivers.

I hope that we will get a Centos 5.5 project started after F14 is rolled out. It should not take much to pull apart the AsteriskNOW ISO and build an Amahi app for a Centos 5.5 base.

Just my 5 cents worth...

cpg
Administrator

Re: PBX

Postby cpg » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:30 am

There was a lot of excitement over FusionPBX for a bit and it almost was to the point it worked.

The person packaging it wanted to do it in a way that I felt was a bit "rough and tumble" ... I felt it would cause maintenance headaches. He eventually got frustrated by this and I think he gave up.

I added you to it and a couple of similar apps like FreePBX, however, I do not think it was well packaged.

Feel free to take a look ... part of the limitation is really that his stuff is sort of like LDAP - the docs, etc. are written by martians. (e.g I was at Bell Labs for seven years and I don't know WTF is a T.38 endpoint. Granted I have not been in that world for a while, but still, I think it's utterly disconnected with common people, let alone less technical people.)
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:48 am

I will gladly take a look at it next week while I am back. I only have a week, as it is looking like an EU trip to Helsinki, Stockholm, and Amsterdam the following 1.5 weeks. New work assignments here in Verizon land.

T.38 is fax over IP from ITU. They ALMOST got it right and it took the SIP Forum only 4 years to fix it. T.37 is fax over SMTP. You DON'T want to know what REAL fax is and thus why it REALLY cannot work over IP/UDP/RTP. (shudder).

Many 'fax servers' PBXs can receive faxes over the PSTN and print or email them and that is what they mean by faxes. Typically using Hylafax; and EXCELLENT program. With the IAX trunk and a few other things, you COULD get Hylafax to send and receive over IP, sometimes.

Many ATAs (Analog Telephone Adapters, those things you hook your phone to get VoIP) support T.38 in some flavour or other so the first effort in Asterisk was to add T.38 trunking between ATAs and/or the PSTN. Finally Asterisk has added T.38 endpoint. That is it can terminate the fax to print or smtp without needing Hylafax. Thus if you want faxing, you need to be rather current on Asterisk and trixbox STILL is not.

As I indicated, the beauty of looking toward AsteriskNOW is it is rpms in an ISO for Centos 5.5, so **all** we need is Amahi on Centos 5.5....

I will ask over at Digium lists if they have a package that will work on Fedora...

But I can install Asterisk from the repo myself if I have FreePBX as an app.

And although all the PBX sites say you can get a PBX up and running in 15 minutes, you REALLY have to have some level of understanding of telephony to do anything meaningful. Docs are a mess.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:28 pm

**all** we need is Amahi on Centos 5.5....
:-)
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:37 pm

I am looking at:

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_H ... index.html

And it has php 5.3, so may have to wait for Centos 5.6...

I seem comments on the Centos list about Ruby upgrades not coming until Centos 6.0, do we need that level of Ruby?

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:50 pm

I've been told on the Centos list that 5.6 is Fedora 12 with backports, so that would be our target unless 6.0 comes out first...

jimm1909

Postby jimm1909 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:39 pm

I've been told on the Centos Voip PBX list that 5.6 is Fedora 12 with backports, so that would be our target unless 6.0 comes out first...
What's the latest on this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Jim
Last edited by jimm1909 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:31 pm

I am afraid development on this app has halted. The person who was contributing has left or does not have time to do so. If you are willing to help, please let us know. We would love to get it working for Amahi in Fedora 16 when its released.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

unixdood

Postby unixdood » Fri May 04, 2012 6:32 pm

I've been told on the Centos hosted PBX md list that 5.6 is Fedora 12 with backports, so that would be our target unless 6.0 comes out first...
That's a shame to hear. Hopefully someone can help out. Please ask around!

ciscoh

Postby ciscoh » Thu May 17, 2012 11:22 pm

I am a Unified Communications engineer and have some interest in this topic.

I have Asterisk running on one of my "lab" Amahi servers.

A few issues with it but was wondering if there is any activity on any other PBX application