Downloading and Greyhole

xlnt

Downloading and Greyhole

Postby xlnt » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:03 pm

I just wonder how to move files from my /torrent dir and into the "right" share..

Is there a easy way to do this?

Thanx in advance..

gboudreau

Re: Downloading and Greyhole

Postby gboudreau » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:53 pm

(If your torrents share is only a temporary share, you shouldn't make it use the storage pool. I'll assume you're not.)

If you want to copy a file into a Greyhole share, you need to mount the Samba share, and write your file on that mount.

This can be done on another computer on your LAN, or on the HDA itself.
In the first case, mount both torrents and videos shares, for example, and move the file from the first to the second.
In the second case, either mount the videos share on the command line, or in Gnome, and move the file from /var/hda/files/torrents into the mounted videos share.

You can also cheat: move the file from /var/hda/files/torrents/ into /var/hda/files/videos/ (from the command line of using Gnome).
This will bypass Samba, and it's usually not recommended, since Greyhole will not see the new file right away. But it will pick it up the next time a fsck is run.
fsck should run every nights (for all your shares), but you can also manually launch it, and you can even specify the folder in which you copied the new file(s), so that it won't fsck all your shares and files:

Code: Select all

greyhole --fsck --dir "/var/hda/files/videos/movies/hd/Some Movie/"
The above example is if you copied your new file into the /var/hda/files/videos/movies/hd/Some Movie/ folder.

Once you did the above fsck command, you can watch Greyhole work on your new files:

Code: Select all

tail -f /var/log/greyhole.log
- Guillaume Boudreau

sgtfoo

Postby sgtfoo » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:46 pm

Is there anything wrong with using a client machine to move the files from the /var/hda/files/torrents folder to the /var/hda/files/videos folder, if the torrents folder is not in the pool and the videos folder is in the pool?
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch

gboudreau

Postby gboudreau » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:14 pm

Nothing wrong with that. That's how you should do it.
As long as you use the shares to add files in the pool, you're good, wherever they come from.
So mount the torrents and videos share on a remote (or the local) machine, and move the files using those.
- Guillaume Boudreau

eldano

Postby eldano » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:46 am

I have this same question and I don't think I have all the answers in this post.

I downloaded Transmission. So Amahi makes a share 'torrents' in greyhole right.
\\hda\torrents
If I put a torrent-file in there it gets downloaded to that same share.
This means that the file I downloaded is in \\hda\torrents and thus part of greyhole?

Isn't moving the downloaded file from \\hda\torrents to for example \\hda\movies\ just a matter of 'changing the label' (sorry for not knowing the technical terms, but I think it is understandable :) ) for greyhole in stead of physically moving it over the LAN from \\hda\torrents to \\hda\movies ??

Dan

gboudreau

Postby gboudreau » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:56 am

Transmission downloads files to local directories, not through shares.
That means those files will NOT be moved into the storage pool until a "greyhole --fsck" is run.
Thus, you should not put the torrents share into the storage pool (Uses Pool checkbox in the amahi dashboard).
You could always mount the torrents share locally (see wiki), and tell Transmission to download files there instead of using the default paths, but that wouldn't make much sense. The torrents share should be used as a temporary placeholder for files currently being downloaded. Then you copy it to another share (mounting both shares and copying the files from the torrents share to the other share), then delete the files from the torrents share by using the transmission web UI.

Moving a file from one share to another, you need to copy the file. You can't just 'rename' it. That's just how it is.
- Guillaume Boudreau

eldano

Postby eldano » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:03 am

Mm, I don't have a pool check-boxes in my dashboard.
Could this be because I have only one disk as storage? (being a total noob here :oops: )
My server at the moment contains: x1 250GB laptop-disk, and 1x 2TB samsung disk.
If I did it right the boot disk will be the 250GB disk, and the storage will be the 2TB disk. (dashboard storage tab says that i have one partition (0) with 2tb of storage so that should be right)

The idea behind this was that temp download folder could be on the notebook disk (while still downloading).
Is this the case in a default install?

It would also be nice if the downloaded stuff stays on that disk while seeding.. (saving the planet a bit, energy wise).
Is this the case with a default install?

And then me copying the downloads to the right share manually I get. :). And also deleting it via the transmission web ui.

That part about mounting disk I have to read up a bit, because its not really clear to me how that would work I my situation.
Mounting the disk will happen on the amahi server right (locally)? But what good will that do if i have it headless en want to copy it with my Ubuntu laptop in wireless 54mbit? Or will a faster router help? (now I still have my old en trusty 100mbit router). A lot of noob-ness here you see ;)

And btw many thanks for the reply, appreciate the help gboudreau!

(edit: I checked the copying speed from hda//torrents/ to hda//series/ (I made that share) and its reeeeealy slow, 1Mb/s So that is going over wireless I think :P)

gboudreau

Postby gboudreau » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:43 pm

Follow the instructions, if you want to use Greyhole storage pooling for shares:
http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Greyhole

By default, transmission downloads on your system partition, and when the download is complete, it stays there until you manually decide to do something with it.

When you mount two shares on a client computer, and move files from one to the other, the data goes like this:
amahi HDA > client computer > amahi HDA
So yes, it could be slow.

If you mount the shares locally on the HDA, you can login using SSH, and move the files from the command line.
It might look scary now, but it's just one command, and with TAB-completion (hit the TAB key to complete a partially typed file or directory name), it's hard to make typos.

Example of using Terminal to move files from one share to another, when shares are mounted locally on the HDA:
- From client computer: ssh hda
- In SSH on HDA: mv /mnt/samba/torrents/SomeThing /mnt/samba/Movies/HD/
That's it.
- Guillaume Boudreau

eldano

Postby eldano » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Thanks for all the info and advise gboudreau. Much appreciated.

eldano

Postby eldano » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:28 am

Now I tried to mount my shares locally with this guide:
http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Mount_Shares_Locally

But then I get the following error:
mounting samba shares locally: mount error(13): Permission denied
refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
I tried my user password as well as the root password.
So was thinking that the domain in the credentials can be wrong then?
Instead of 'home' needs to be 'home.com', also the same error, so now I changed it back to 'home' again.

Can anyone help?