access to apps with disabled DHCP

UweSchmeer

access to apps with disabled DHCP

Postby UweSchmeer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:43 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for this information since an hour now - but can't find it.

My server is not running all the time. That's why I disabled the internal DHCP in Amahi. The problem is now, that I don't know how to access the apps I installed in the server.

Any hind?

and btw - I used the search function before :)

Thanks in advance for you help

greetings from germany
Stefan

luladude

Re: access to apps with disabled DHCP

Postby luladude » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:49 am

i would also appreciate some imput on this.
thanks in advance.

by the way (sorry to write on your post), but what's the problem running the dhco server on hda AND on the router?

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:10 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for this information since an hour now - but can't find it.

My server is not running all the time. That's why I disabled the internal DHCP in Amahi. The problem is now, that I don't know how to access the apps I installed in the server.
Can you configure your DNS server in the DHCP settings on your router?

Put the IP address of your HDA FIRST, then your other DNS server address. This MAY work, depending on how the client treats multiple DNS servers, and the domain name you have for your HDA.

You can look at /etc/dhcp.conf on the hda to get other DHCP options to put into your router's DHCP.

But if you DON''T use the DHCP from Amahi, you loose out on the dynamic DNS features of AMAHI.

Just note that you can only run ONE DHCP server per network. They step on each other otherwise.

Nigma

Postby Nigma » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:52 am

If you don't have the ability to modify dns settings can the apps be accessed via ipaddress ?

Personally, i don't want to disable the router DHCP/DNS in the event that the HDA fails - my wife would be left without working internet.

Cheers

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:22 pm

If you don't have the ability to modify dns settings can the apps be accessed via ipaddress ?

Personally, i don't want to disable the router DHCP/DNS in the event that the HDA fails - my wife would be left without working internet.

Cheers
I have not been able to access them by IP address. I have been meaning to look into what it would take to facilitate this, maybe in a day or so.

I can understand your concern for your wife. My home subnet, that my wife uses is serviced by a Amahi system that is on a UPS and is also where all her data is stored. If it is not working, she would be VERY upset. I had just replaced an NT PDC server that had been running for 15 years solid with an Amahi server. I am comfortable with the server staying up and providing the needed services.

Get a UPS for your server...

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:55 am

Check out the FAQ on amahi.org.

http://www.amahi.org/faq#is-dhcp-server-required
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2