Installation within VirtualBox

davidbd

Installation within VirtualBox

Postby davidbd » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:47 am

Hello,

I installed the Amahi inside VirtualBoX according to your guidelines in the wiki.
It works good inside the network and DNS registration to the Amahi web site is working.

But I can not connect to the machine from outside.

I config the virtualbox machine as a bridge and got IP from my router ( eg 192.168.123.105 )
I port forward ports 1194/80 to the above IP

I can not access the machine outside my home network using VPN/WEB

Can you please advice ?

Regards,
David

radioz

Re: Installation within VirtualBox

Postby radioz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:11 am

Does either your host or virtual machine have a firewall that blocks access?

What happens if you ping your hda from outside?

Can you look at your router logs to see what might be going on?

Just some debugging ideas.

Post your results and we'll try to help.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:01 am

Did you try the ip assigned to the HDA in VirtualBox? YOu can do an ifconfig from terminal in your VM.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ersingleton

Postby ersingleton » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:00 am

I have what is probably a total newb question but if there is a clear explanation I can't find it. I am trying to install Amahi inside VirtualBox. I would like to see how it works compared to my existing WHS. Other than messing with Ubuntu about a year ago I am a complete linux moron. I am following the WIKI for installing Amahi on VirtualBox but get stuck at:
Reconfiguring the system
Boot the VM and wait for the login prompt. Login as admin (default password: admin) and use su to become root. Using your favourite editor, create the file:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 with the contents:

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
Now we need to reconfigure the hda to ensure that it picks up the new network config, using the command hda-change-gw and the IP address of the host-only network. In my case:

hda-change-gw 192.168.56.1
This allows amahi to serve on the host-only network, eth0, while still having access to the wider internet through the eth1 NAT interface. (The latter is necessary if you want to install any apps, for instance.)

Now reboot.
I assume that creating or editing the file in "my favourite editor" is relatively easy once I know how but right now I am lost and The Google is failing me. I can login and get past su but have no idea after that.

sag47

Postby sag47 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:47 am

If you're running in a GUI you could use gedit since Fedora uses Gnome. Press Alt+F2, type gedit, and then enter.

Or you could learn a terminal editor such as vim. Press Alt+F2, type gnome-terminal, and then enter. Once you're in the terminal run the following command:

Code: Select all

su yum -y install vim vimtutor
Vimtutor is an interactive tutorial that teaches you how to use vim. For a reference to the commands or a reading tutorial you can use the following wiki article.
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Vim

If you read that wiki article but don't want to install vim the vi editor comes preinstalled and uses mostly similar commands.