cpl of pre-install ?'s

bizzaro

cpl of pre-install ?'s

Postby bizzaro » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:51 am

roll out date for ubuntu version?

can it sync with active directory?

if not, and i set up users via the amahi interface, how can windows client users automatically reconnect to network shares?

ive used freenas in the past. it sync'd with active directory and allowed for encrypted volumes. i already asked about syncing, now how about encryption?

freenas was a p.i.t.a. tho. file xfers between drives took forever and streaming media using winamp on a windows based computer and pointing its library at a networked freenas drive led to frustration. how does this [amahi] stack up against those challenges of my networking past?

can i use mythtv in conjunction with amahi? i have an ati hdtv wonder card that i want to continue using as a digital tuner. ive never actually used mythtv but i was considering it as an add on to an ubuntu based server.

large files? now that i have some blu ray rips, a 4 gig file size or greater is not that unusual. can amahi serve these up without a hiccup?

main use will be home file server, media server, print server on an amd 64 3800 with 4 gigs of pc 3200 and an ati x1600 + the hdtv wonder, using a nforce 3 mobo. clients will be xp, ubuntu and vista lappys and desktops. that being said, do i have the juice to run my requirements?

tyia

moredruid
Expert

Re: cpl of pre-install ?'s

Postby moredruid » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:09 pm

no idea, cpg should be able to give you a very rough estimate
again no idea
if not, and i set up users via the amahi interface, how can windows client users automatically reconnect to network shares?
very simple: in explorer select Tools > Map network drive > choose your share & driveletter. don't forget to check the box "reconnect at next logon". This is a per user setting. You can also create a script that maps the drives at startup.
ive used freenas in the past. it sync'd with active directory and allowed for encrypted volumes. i already asked about syncing, now how about encryption?
Yes you can encrypt volumes/drives/filesystems. However this always gives a (slight) performance hit. You will need to set it up manually. Having Windows handle your encryption on the share: no idea if this works fine. You're better off using the built in encryption tools of linux. If you want specific space for yourself you can use your homedrive (not shared with other users by default).
freenas was a p.i.t.a. tho. file xfers between drives took forever and streaming media using winamp on a windows based computer and pointing its library at a networked freenas drive led to frustration. how does this [amahi] stack up against those challenges of my networking past?
what do you mean xfers between drives? If you set up LVM you won't even notice which disk is being used. Streaming media (amahitunes server/itunes client) works great, haven't had a hiccup once. this is in the following network topology: laptop (itunes) > 100Mbit eth > router > 100Mbit eth > Gb switch upstairs > 1Gbit eth > server upstairs. The Wii is always connected over wifi, 1 iPhone also, 1 system is usually on upstairs, using moderately large files (avg. 400MB) over the network continuously.
can i use mythtv in conjunction with amahi? i have an ati hdtv wonder card that i want to continue using as a digital tuner. ive never actually used mythtv but i was considering it as an add on to an ubuntu based server.
no idea, never dabbled with mythtv, always used plain network streaming to my laptop.
large files? now that i have some blu ray rips, a 4 gig file size or greater is not that unusual. can amahi serve these up without a hiccup?
depending on the choice of your filesystem. ext3 should handle this fine. also dependent on the block size you choose during partitioning. however with the smallest block size you can have files up to 16GB. more info here.
main use will be home file server, media server, print server on an amd 64 3800 with 4 gigs of pc 3200 and an ati x1600 + the hdtv wonder, using a nforce 3 mobo. clients will be xp, ubuntu and vista lappys and desktops. that being said, do i have the juice to run my requirements?
this hardware should be more than enough to serve your needs. not sure if it plays right with mythtv installed on the same box.
basically you'll need 1GHz with 512MB RAM minimum for Amahi. more is better of course :lol:
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:35 pm

hard to tell ... :(
not out of the box at the moment. i have heard that it's easy, given the overhaul that we did to the samba code. obnox may have a better idea, since he's a samba guru.
in XP (*not* in XP home), there is a checkbox for "remember my password" which makes this happen. similar thing in vista and macs.
as moredruid said, you can also "map network drives" and click on "reconnect at logon" (which works even in XP home!).
Fedora 9 supports encrypted volumes, however, you probably mean at the protocol level, not disk level. I have not heard of anyone using Amahi with that, though it may well be possible (no idea how hard/easy).

can i use mythtv in conjunction with amahi?
most people, if not all, use it as a media server, including me, sharing avis, mpegs, mp3, vobs, etc.

you do have to have the hardware and the network to handle that traffic of course.
i have an ati hdtv wonder card that i want to continue using as a digital tuner. ive never actually used mythtv but i was considering it as an add on to an ubuntu based server.
we *will* support mythtv as a backend server (we need a maintainer for it!). some people do also use the same machine as a front end.

tyia
i think so! :)
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

bizzaro

Postby bizzaro » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:06 am

good stuff, thanks to you both!

myth tv was just a thought anyway. ill throw that hd card in a desktop somewhere. just hate to see it gathering dust. its like a favorite toy from when you were a kid. you still love it, but feel funny playing with it.......i remember the first time i touched......the remote. sigh

nemolomen

Postby nemolomen » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:28 am

Hi bizarro,

I can answer your question about serving media with my current equipment.

The server is now an Athlon XP 1400+ (850 MHz), 512 MB PC133 RAM. On a regular basis, I'm serving video files of varying quality (640x480 - 1024x768, rough guesses) stored on an external USB hard drive on the HDA through a wired router to a 2.4 GHz 802.11g wireless access point to a Win XP Home box running XBMC Media Center. XBMC is set up to cache 4 MB of the stream. The only problems I've had with this setup were with the virus scanner on the client machine. Once I removed the virus scanner, everything is smooth and does not hurt the performance of the HDA for other things including streaming music files from the same drive.

I hope this helps ease your mind,

nemolomen
nemolomen

My HDA (3rd): ECS A770M-A, Phenom X3 2.4 GHz, 2 GB DDR2 800MHz, / 40 GB, /home 80 GB, data 1TB, 500GB, 320GB