Install trouble!!

samelfer

Install trouble!!

Postby samelfer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:19 pm

Seem to be making a colossal mess of this install...

Just started again, fresh install of Fedora 12 (full dvd), amahi seems to load ok, but then freezes at 57% complete, whilst initializing MySQL. It's done it three times now, tried to manually install packages, but still does the same thing. I'm a complete noob at this, so hope it's an easy fix :-)

Any help much much appreciated!

cpg
Administrator

Re: Install trouble!!

Postby cpg » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:18 am

I think you came to the IRC? How did your installer end up?

We have seen a couple of cases of the installer "stalling" ... however, we're not sure why. We routinely see many more installs that work.

One possibility is that the updates from the desktop tool are interfering perhaps?

The installer does try to stop those updates.

You can try to stop the tool with the desktop applet (top bar, towards the right) to see if progress is being made faster.

If you find any insights, we'd like to know what's going on, so please share!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

samelfer

Postby samelfer » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:59 pm

Thanks for the response, I just can't seem to get past the install phase - very frustrating!!

Anyone else come up against/resolved a similar issue?

Thanks,

Sam

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:29 pm

I have a few questions for you:

1. Did you do Fedora 12 updates prior to installing Amahi?
2. Is it 32 or 64 bit?
3. How fast is your internet connection?

Once I know a bit more, I may be able to help you resolve your issues.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

samelfer

Postby samelfer » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:04 am

Hi there,

Thanks for the message.

To answer your questions:

1. Did you do Fedora 12 updates prior to installing Amahi? Have tried with and without, with the same result (ie frozen install)
2. Is it 32 or 64 bit? 32bit
3. How fast is your internet connection? Nominally 8Mb but actually more like 6Mb.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sawyer

Postby Sawyer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:03 am

I had the same problem on Vmware. Maybe just one succesful isntall out of 10.

Just installed it now on Virtualbox and it went ok. It just rebooted.

Couldnt you pick anything better then fedora for your core? I think this is the worst linux distro out there. I cant even update it as it breaks down with errors.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:50 am

Glad to hear things are working better with VirtualBox. That is what I use for testing and packaging apps. There are often issues with installing linux in a virtual environment. Unfortunately, it seems to be more difficult with Fedora 12. I have always used VirtualBox since VMware and I don't seem to get along.

I cannot honestly say why we chose Fedora, but we are trying to port Amahi to Ubuntu. There are many users who are more comfortable with a debian based distro. It is still in the early stages, so keep your eyes and ears open.

Thanks for trying Amahi and I hope you have better luck with VirtualBox.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

moredruid
Expert

Postby moredruid » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:12 am

The port to Ubuntu is a very important one I think since it's been asked a lot.
Also with RH6 being based on F12 we should have a CentOS/RH port quite easily which is great for a long term amahi release on a very stable platform, perhaps even a licensed version of amahi on a licensed platform for people who need real priority support for their business.
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

wachuwamekil

Postby wachuwamekil » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:27 am

I had some DNS issues after an install the other day, but that was likely something I did wrong.

So I re installed the OS and re-installed amahi. The reinstall was not successful, it stuck at 99% for most of the evening (about 8 hours or so ago).

Looking at the logs I think I know at least why my install stalled.

{
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora.
Please verify its path and try again
}

So it went through the motions of downloading the plugins, but yum kept erroring out.

I resubmitted the key and this time I got the error page. Not sure if has anything to do with your problem, but it is one that I am dealing with atm.

I am going to look into yum freaking out on the fedora repo, will let y'all know what I find.

Thx,

Wachu

wachuwamekil

Postby wachuwamekil » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:57 pm

Just a quick note, after the failed install yum was jacked up.

I went back to the repo files, and commented out the 'mirrorlist' and uncommented 'baseos' (not sure if this did anything but it prevented yum from throwing errors.

I then did the following
{
rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*
rpm --rebuilddb
yum clean all
}

I can now run yum commands without a problem, and am attempting the install again.

Will let everyone know what happens.

Thx,

Wachu