Some issues with XBOX360 and Amahitunes?

hfxrzw

Some issues with XBOX360 and Amahitunes?

Postby hfxrzw » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:03 am

Hi, I have just installed F12/Amahi 5.0 to use it as a media server for the family. I try to stream to the xbox360 to get the music/movie content in the living room.

Few things:

On the xbox360 all the files in the different folders on Amahi are grouped together in the 'My Music' section; music, pictures as well as movies. It seems that Amahi/uShare throws everything on one heap, not really what I'm looking for. It only shows in 'My Music' not in any of the other menu folders on the xbox. Any fix to this?

Further the xbox doesn't play any of the music, which are a mixture of mp3/flac/wav files. Possibly an xbox problem, however it plays the music from the WinXP, so I wonder.

I can not find AmahiTunes at all. Is it automatically installed but not visible? It doesn't show in the available apps nor in the installed apps.

Thanks, Rene.

digitaldissent

Re: Some issues with XBOX360 and Amahitunes?

Postby digitaldissent » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:53 am

On the xbox360 all the files in the different folders on Amahi are grouped together in the 'My Music' section; music, pictures as well as movies. It seems that Amahi/uShare throws everything on one heap, not really what I'm looking for. It only shows in 'My Music' not in any of the other menu folders on the xbox. Any fix to this?
I have experienced the same thing, mine copies all the media content to ushare/files too, so now I have data in that spot and in my "Music" folder, so yes using twice the disk space.

maybe http://www.amahi.org/apps/dlna will fix this?

pjcrux

Postby pjcrux » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:55 am

I find it's easier to put everything under a single folder. For instance I have everything under one folder in my music shares. This greatly reduced my clutter on the xbox360 dashboard.
Further the xbox doesn't play any of the music, which are a mixture of mp3/flac/wav files. Possibly an xbox problem, however it plays the music from the WinXP, so I wonder.
Is your xbox360 up to date or are you running an older xbox model?
I can not find AmahiTunes at all. Is it automatically installed but not visible? It doesn't show in the available apps nor in the installed apps.
With our Amahi 5.0 release there was a problem with AmahiTunes. It has been moved back to Alpha Status for testing. Try Ushare for the time being. We also have another app in beta testing Amahi-DLNA that may be of use to you.

Are you a tester?
Community Advocate
HP Proliant Micro Server N40L, AMD Turion II Neo x2 1.5GHz;
8GB ECC-DDR3; 250GB for OS, 3x1TB.

"Experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions"
-James Madison, Federalist Paper No. 51

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:53 pm

I have experienced the same thing, mine copies all the media content to ushare/files too, so now I have data in that spot and in my "Music" folder, so yes using twice the disk space.
just a quick note that this is not the case. and an overall note.

what happened here is that ushare is a little limited and, apparently, there are (or were?) two bugs where:

- it could not read from multiple source directories
- it could not disambiguate types of media

so, to work around the first one in amahi we build a virtual file system (with unionfs) of all the media directories. this is fairly sophisticate, and it kind of did the job.

the media is NOT copied.

for the second, the server cannot really tell the media apart based on extensions or metadata, so you also see movies where only pictures should be. :(

we DO need a hand on helping maintain these packages ... if you have some expertise in working/driving this through their respective communities, please help!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

hfxrzw

Postby hfxrzw » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:22 am

Sorry team, I'm not a tester and rather new at this. The part that UShare doesn't copy the files I understand in so much that I think it makes a virtual folder after having read the HDA folders, creating a single listing for access elsewhere. Most people have their system set up that different folders hold different content and from the initial set-up of Amahi it is clear that that was the intention.

The 360 issue is that I now have all the Amahi content listed in the 'My Music' folder, never mind what it is, and have no content in the 'My Movies' or other folders on the xbox. As I'm trying to get to a family solution, this doesn't work. My kids are playing their music behind some of their video games, but if it then tries to decode the 'other' content of the music folder it would stop right? Then 'big daddy' suddenly isn't so big any more. You get my drift 8-)

I for one do not understand why you would every want to have all your content in one folder, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

After having loaded lots of data to the server I now understand that, for the ime being, I should take all off and only leave the music if I want uninterupted music in connecting equipment. Not exactly what I had in mind, but I can live with it for the moment.

I'll look into the xbox360 access to the filetypes else where.

Many thanks so far!

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:27 am

I for one do not understand why you would every want to have all your content in one folder, but hey, whatever floats your boat.
it's a bug. noone likes this setup.

try amahi dlna ... which does disambiguate the media, but being DLNA (sony) and no so much UPnP (microsoft), the xbox and other microsoft product apparently do not deal with it very well :(

we'll get there ... we just need to band together to make it happen!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

hfxrzw

Postby hfxrzw » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:34 am

CPG, it wasn't a comment on the set-up, but on Peter Cross's comment

"I find it's easier to put everything under a single folder. For instance I have everything under one folder in my music shares. This greatly reduced my clutter on the xbox360 dashboard."

Appreciate you want to improve it further, no worries. I'm very happy to see the communication flowing and appreciate we'll all need to support it!

Cheers, Rene.