Restore backed-up files after fresh FC12/Amahi5 install

greenstar

Restore backed-up files after fresh FC12/Amahi5 install

Postby greenstar » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:45 pm

Background:
I have a couple hundred Gigs of data that I backed up from /var/hda/files on my FC10/Amahi4 hda before doing a fresh install of FC12/Amahi5.

I backed up with the following (as root):

Code: Select all

cp -a /var/hda /media/my_external_hd/Amahi
I have already started to copy the data back in the same way with the following command (as root).

cp -a /media/my_external_hd/Amahi/hda/files /var/hda
*Note that I backed up the entire /var/hda directory, but am only restoring /var/hda/files.

The Problem:
I'm pretty sure I overwrote the /files directory found in /var/hda so that now the /files directory is owned by root. I need to be sure the new /var/hda/files directory has correct permissions and ownership after I copy the files back.

The Questions:
1. Should /files be owned by root or apache?

2. What permissions should be set for /files

3. Which user should own the contents of /files (subdirectories)?

4. What permissions should be set for the contents of /files (subdirectories)?

Thanks,
greenstar

greenstar

Re: Restore backed-up files after fresh FC12/Amahi5 install

Postby greenstar » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:24 am

Does anyone have any insight? This is still nagging at me by preventing all users but one to access the files.

I'm really hoping to avoid reinstalling the OS & Amahi just to correct an ownership/permissions issue.

bsk

Postby bsk » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:19 pm

IIRC, /files should be owned by apache users (but I could be wrong).

Another thing to look at is, the files that are there has no affect on what you can see, if you have not setup a share under the shares tab in http://hda/setup, then you will not see it, that has to be there.

This will not overwrite the folder, just make an entry that it is there and this is the location.

Looks like you cannot write to these shares?
Having problems with connecting to the internet? Try the Network Troubleshooter.

Not sure what your Gateway IP? Head on over to the Find Your Gateway IP page to find out easily.

lou1z

Postby lou1z » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:57 am

on mine:

/var/hda/files = 0755 root:root

all shared files under that = 0755 <hdauser>:users

where <hdauser> = first user set up on amahi

moredruid
Expert

Postby moredruid » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:11 am

the files should be owned by <username> users
if created through the webinterface the primary user for that share will be apache
all subsequently copied/created files are of their respective creator (you, and other users).

if you need to modify the permissions so the user/group can modify them you can run the following command to set all permissions and ownerships correctly:

chown -R apache:users /var/hda/files chmod -R ug+rwx /var/hda/files
this will make all files owned (recursively) by the user "apache" and the group "users"
and modify the permissions on all files readable, writeable and executable by the user (apache) and group members (users).
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD