Upgrade Fedora 10 & Amahi 4 to Fedora 12 & Amahi 5

mcai3db3

Upgrade Fedora 10 & Amahi 4 to Fedora 12 & Amahi 5

Postby mcai3db3 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:04 am

Is there some form of guide to achieve this?

I really, really don't want to end up losing data and I'm not nearly proficient enough with Fedora to know what the hell I'm doing in the terminal. If I lose data, I will cry.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

cpg
Administrator

Re: Upgrade Fedora 10 & Amahi 4 to Fedora 12 & Amahi 5

Postby cpg » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:25 am

you would probably not lose data, though this would be a good time to back up!

read the bottom part of the amahi 5.0 announce, before the screenshots.
A Note on Upgrading from Amahi 4

Because this release comes with so many improvements for future scalability, we do not support/recommend upgrading from Amahi 4.x (Fedora 10) to Amahi 5.0 (Fedora 12). We strongly recommend a fresh install after backing up your data.

Fedora does support updating directly from Fedora 10 to Fedora 12, however, this is not well tested by the community and our experience indicates this can have lots of technical issues. If you decide to test this update path, please report your results in the forums.
i managed to update fedora from f10 to f11 then f11 to f12 using the preupgrade method.
as far as amahi ... it's a BIG change and we don't have the support manpower to help with that.

my (free) advice: unmount your data, install amahi5+f12, mount it back. or better yet, back it up first, then do that!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

mcai3db3

Postby mcai3db3 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:32 am

you would probably not lose data, though this would be a good time to back up!

read the bottom part of the amahi 5.0 announce, before the screenshots.
A Note on Upgrading from Amahi 4

Because this release comes with so many improvements for future scalability, we do not support/recommend upgrading from Amahi 4.x (Fedora 10) to Amahi 5.0 (Fedora 12). We strongly recommend a fresh install after backing up your data.

Fedora does support updating directly from Fedora 10 to Fedora 12, however, this is not well tested by the community and our experience indicates this can have lots of technical issues. If you decide to test this update path, please report your results in the forums.
i managed to update fedora from f10 to f11 then f11 to f12 using the preupgrade method.
as far as amahi ... it's a BIG change and we don't have the support manpower to help with that.

my (free) advice: unmount your data, install amahi5+f12, mount it back. or better yet, back it up first, then do that!
Thanks for the free advice :D

I'd be perfectly fine with doing as you advise, if I had a clue how to do anything in Fedora. I couldn't mount and unmount drives with any confidence, I have no Fedora nouse whatsoever. Also, I really don't think I've got enough drive space to back everything up. I run frequent backups, but not of all my files.

If I install Fedora 12 using their installer disk, what is the deal with partitioning? If I could ensure it was only going to touch the partition with the OS on, everything would be fine. However I assume the Amahi 5 repository part would want to fiddle with the other partitions.

Hmph.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:48 am

generally speaking amahi does not touch partitions or disks or user data at all. also generally speaking, things in /var/hda are amahi configuration files (though there are some in /etc too). and /var/hda/files/ and /home/ are all user files. you may have data somewhere else too ... hard to know exactly.

until we know we can do it extremely safely, we're going to stay out of that business, i think.

but we hear you, this is a general concern for all our users. manageability, forward upgradeability and safety of data.

hopefully in the future we do not do change things internally so radically. hopefully in the future releases we have more users, too, and perhaps more resources.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

mcai3db3

Postby mcai3db3 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:54 am

All of my files are held in /var/hda/files/, I've not touched anything outside of there (well, not with anything that I care about keeping).

I'll give it a pop tonight, I'll just be very careful, try not to touch any partition outside of the norm and backup what I can. I'm not good at being patient with software installs. I just hope this one isn't a mistake (like stupid Snow Leopard and it's stupid issues).

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:15 am

if you are not patient, i do not recommend an update. when i upgraded fedora, it worked (even remotely once) using the preupgrade method, but it had technical issues.

the amahi upgrade is way more painful, sadly.

so i will assume you are going for a reinstall. still, i would not really recommend it from what you said :)

yeah, i did not update to snow leopard. i had heard enough horror stories.

raindog

Postby raindog » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:46 pm

Attempted to upgrade from f10 to f12 using preupgrade. After rebooting my boot log shows this:

7Starting MySQL: [ OK ]
Starting amahi-installer: [ OK ]
Starting dhcpd: [ OK ]
Starting hdactl: [ OK ]
Starting abrt daemon: [ OK ]
Starting httpd: Syntax error on line 41 of /etc/httpd/conf.d/01-platform.conf:
SocketPath cannot occur within <VirtualHost> section
[FAILED]
Starting crond: [ OK ]

Burning the install dvd now.

Still wishing someone would port this to CentOS. I simply don;t have the skills. These OS updates kill this project for those who don't want to spend a lot of time managing their server.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:19 pm

you should install the latest hdactl and hda-platform, then probably run the amahi-installer:

service amahi-installer start

may have to remove /etc/sysconfig/amahi-hda (the installer should tell you, i think).

sign up for the Amahi Custom DNS and support the project: http://bit.ly/amahi-5-oh
this is the only way we will be able to get any of these things done, like CentOS, Ubuntu, etc.

raindog

Postby raindog » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:27 pm

I will look into it. I am willing to donate as this is a great product.

The amahi-installer is having it's own issues.

[Admin@server sysconfig]$ sudo service amahi-installer status
amahi-installer dead but subsys locked

Trying a fresh install.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:40 pm

well, yeah, there's going to be no end of issues with a f10 to f12 update :(
won't help with the details, since it's going to be time consuming and you are doing a fresh install...
the changes in amahi 5.0 are major.