upgrading

wylie1966

upgrading

Postby wylie1966 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:43 am

I'm currently running amahi 3 on fedora9 but would like to upgrade both, I'm happy to start a new install of the os and amahi(i have a fed10 live cd with installer) do i need to rebuild my amahi repo? or is there an easy way of just getting fedora to upgrade and amahi to do the same.

cheers

moredruid
Expert

Re: upgrading

Postby moredruid » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:06 am

you can go the way of a clean install or you can upgrade the existing system with yum.
a good explanation can be found here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

BTW I've done this succesfully myself
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

pjcrux

Postby pjcrux » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:55 am

The recommended upgrade is via the F10 DVD. We have tried to do an install off of the live CD's but the live cd requires other rpm's to be installed that are not present in the Live CD package.

Your life will be a lot easier with the DVD. I have tried both the YUM and preupgrade paths via commandline and have always not had good experiences. Ultimately I had to wipe the drive and do a complete reinstall.

But if you feel like trying it out... Let us know how it goes!
Community Advocate
HP Proliant Micro Server N40L, AMD Turion II Neo x2 1.5GHz;
8GB ECC-DDR3; 250GB for OS, 3x1TB.

"Experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions"
-James Madison, Federalist Paper No. 51

wylie1966

Postby wylie1966 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:44 am

I think I'm going to go the complete fresh install route, so a couple of questions arise from that:
1. do i need to do anything to amahi to upgrade to version 4 or will it detect i'm installing F10 and upgrade accordingly? I will assume there is a point in install whereby i can tell F10 to get the Amahi rep?
2. My data is on another drive in the server but obviously it is partioned as Amahi wanted it, will the data be safe on this drive during install?

thanks for the tips guys.

pjcrux

Postby pjcrux » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:37 am

I think I'm going to go the complete fresh install route, so a couple of questions arise from that:
OK, smart choice less potential problems here :geek:
1. do i need to do anything to amahi to upgrade to version 4 or will it detect i'm installing F10 and upgrade accordingly? I will assume there is a point in install whereby i can tell F10 to get the Amahi rep?
During the install you will again come to the section to add or remove potions of the installation that may not be needed. IE open office, web server, etc. At this point please see page 4 of 17 on the pdf version of the Amahi Home Server Manual located here: http://wiki.amahi.org/images/0/08/Amahi_manual.pdf
2. My data is on another drive in the server but obviously it is partioned as Amahi wanted it, will the data be safe on this drive during install?
Depends upon your setup. LVM will overtake all drives and format according (I made this mistake the other day with my test HDA and left a couple of USB drives attached, wife is still mad :lol: ).

Best bet is to do the advanced partitioning located in same manual listed above. I would however (and I can't stress this enough) BACK UP YOUR DATA!!!!
Community Advocate
HP Proliant Micro Server N40L, AMD Turion II Neo x2 1.5GHz;
8GB ECC-DDR3; 250GB for OS, 3x1TB.

"Experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions"
-James Madison, Federalist Paper No. 51

moredruid
Expert

Postby moredruid » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:08 am

if you want to reinstall anyway I'd recommend upgrading before wiping the OS. It will give you a chance to learn something of the works in the progress which is always helpful. If you get stuck, well, you did want to reinstall anyway :)

If you want to make absolutely sure that your data is kept:
- check the /etc/fstab file for your current data disk, copy that complete line somewhere and save it (e.g. mail to yourself)
- disconnect your data drive
- upgrade/install F10
- install/configure amahi (be aware though that if you want all your Amahi settings kept you'll need a backup of the database which you'll have to restore as well!)
- shut down system
- reconnect data drive
- power on system
- add the data disk line to the /etc/fstab file
- type "mount -a" as root and your data should be back

it's magic :geek:
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD