CLOSED: Upgrading from Amahi 10 to Amahi 11

ghrasko

CLOSED: Upgrading from Amahi 10 to Amahi 11

Postby ghrasko » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:46 am

Hi,

I would like to update my server (Platform 10.0.0-1, Core 10.4.0-1, Fedora 25, HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen8, 4 drives, Greyhole storage pooling) to version 11. Last time I made a clean install from version 9 to 10, but it was a large project for me, as I don't have experience with Linux systems.
  • Briefly checking the forum, I see that there is an upgrade option, but it is not really recommended. It is advised to remove all aps, which is fine in general (DLNA, Transmission), but what to do with Greyhole and storage pooling?
  • If I do a clean install (as I did last time from 9 to 10), what is the best practice with the pooled drives, shares and users? Last time it took me nearly a week to rebuild the pooled drive, setting up users and shares, and I am not sure I made it absolutely correctly. How should I safely re-build or re-use the pooled drives?
Could you provide me some best practice advises? I am only worry about my family documents. I have some 8 users. Everyone has a home folder and there are some common folders (pictures, docs etc.) that have extra 1 copies in the storage pool. I don't really care about streamed films. They are not dupicated and can be replaced if deleted by chance. But I can not lose the family files.

I am not an expert with Greyhole and Linux, so maybe I am not describing correctly my setup:

sda: Western Digital Red 3.5 4TB 5400rpm 64MB SATA3 (system and shares/Greyhole LZ partitiones, 65% free space)
sdb: Western Digital Red NAS 3.5 3TB 5400rpm 64MB SATA3 (non duplicated films, documents, 70% free space)
sdc: Western Digital Red NAS 3.5 2TB 5400rpm 64MB SATA3 (pooled, 15%!!! free space)
sdd: Western Digital Red NAS 3.5 2TB 5400rpm 64MB SATA3 (pooled, 15%!!! free space)

As the 2TB drives starts to be too small, I might by a new 4TB and reorganize (of course, this means clean install):

sda: Western Digital Red NAS 3.5 3TB 5400rpm 64MB SATA3 (system, shares/Greyhole LZ partitiones)
sdb: Western Digital Red NAS 3.5 2TB 5400rpm 64MB SATA3 (non duplicated films, documents)
sdc: Western Digital Red 3.5 4TB 5400rpm 64MB SATA3 (pooled)
sdd: Western Digital Red 3.5 4TB 5400rpm 64MB SATA3 (pooled)

What could be the safest way to rebuild the pools in this case? What should be the order of adding the disks, creating the users with home directories and rebuilding the pools. And how rebuilding should happen in Greyhole?

Gábor

ghrasko

Re: Upgrading from Amahi 10 to Amahi 11

Postby ghrasko » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:06 am

As I see, I have to follow this document, if I am not changing the drives:

https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Reconn ... orage_pool

Still I am not sure how to safely rebuild the shares with the user folders.

Also, can I follow a similar, though possibly more complex procedure (with disc copies) if I change the drives?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:27 am

Hello,

I would recommend you follow the HDA OS Migration Guide and do an new install. The guidance is very detailed and I've tested it several times over the years with no issues.

As for Greyhole, your files will be safe if you follow the guidance above.

You can also disconnect the drives with your files if you prefer until you have everything set up on the new install. Either way, reconnecting Greyhole should work without issues.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ghrasko

Postby ghrasko » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:33 pm

Thanks. I briefly scrolled through the documents and I think it will be OK. The is one thing that is not clear for me. So this is my current configuration:

sda: Western Digital Red 3.5 4TB 5400rpm 64MB SATA3 (system and shares/Greyhole LZ partitiones, 65% free space)
sdb: Western Digital Red NAS 3.5 3TB 5400rpm 64MB SATA3 (non duplicated films, documents, 70% free space)
sdc: Western Digital Red NAS 3.5 2TB 5400rpm 64MB SATA3 (pooled, 15%!!! free space)
sdd: Western Digital Red NAS 3.5 2TB 5400rpm 64MB SATA3 (pooled, 15%!!! free space)

If I understand correctly, I will reuse my sda disk and run the op system and Amahi installation on it. If I remember correctly, it will (re)create the boot and the root partitions. But my current shares, thus the Greyhole landing zone with the symlinks are located at /var/hda/files/<sharename>. Based on the docs, you linked now...

• In Shares/Detailes admin page I have to manually (re)create the shares with the exactly same names.
  • I mount the old 2TB drives with the pool directories (gh) to the original path: /var/hda/files/drives/drive1 and /var/hda/files/drives/drive2.
  • In Drive Pooling/Partitions admin page I mark the partitions as drive pools
  • In Drive pooling/Shares admin page I define the copies as they were in the old setup.
At this point the newly created landing zone(s) (shared directories) does not contain the symlinks at all. Will they be created slowly as Greyhole is running, thus the files will appear gradually within the shares? Should I run greyhole --fsck to initiate the process? How will the system know that it should create the symlinks based on the real files in the pool(s) instead of deleting all the files in the pools as there are no symlinks in the LZ shares? How long would it take to rebuild the LZ symlinks for c.c.a. 1.5TB files?

Also, in my currently used configuration there is a warning that I don't understand. I a popup bubble it says: "Greyhole not on root" and points to a page that says, it is not good to put Grayhole on the root partition. I think, it is not there.

Gábor

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:17 pm

Should I run greyhole --fsck to initiate the process?
Yes.
How will the system know that it should create the symlinks based on the real files in the pool(s) instead of deleting all the files in the pools as there are no symlinks in the LZ shares?
Yes. It will see the files on the Greyhole drives and create the links.
How long would it take to rebuild the LZ symlinks for c.c.a. 1.5TB files?
It will take a while. You can monitor it via the greyhole.log file, but expect things to not be complete for several hours.
Also, in my currently used configuration there is a warning that I don't understand. I a popup bubble it says: "Greyhole not on root" and points to a page that says, it is not good to put Grayhole on the root partition. I think, it is not there.
That is correct and it's a warning that does not go away. As long as you have not checked that drive for the storage pool, you are fine.

Hopefully I answered all your questions.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:56 am

I presume this issue is resolved since there have not been any updated posts.

Marking as closed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager