CLOSED: upgrading an extremely old server

PatrickDickey

CLOSED: upgrading an extremely old server

Postby PatrickDickey » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:23 am

Hi, everyone,

I have an Amahi 7 server that I haven't used in years. I want to upgrade it to the newest version, if possible. In the wiki, it talks about going from 7 to 8, then 8 to 9, 9 to 10, then finally 10 to 11. The problem is the repos for 7, 8, and probably 9 don't exist anymore.

My main question is if I do a clean install, is there any way of backing up the current users and directories so I can recreate them afterward? Or is there an upgrade path that I can try (I realize it won't be supported at all)? I should note that the computer is a 64-bit processor and is running a 64-bit version of Amahi. So that won't be an issue.

One final question. At one point in time, I had two HDA's set up (PatrickDickey and PatrickDickey-2). The server is the second, but in my control panel, it only shows the first one. Can I rerun the amahi-install and put the install code from the first server in, or will it break my system (this would be before I try upgrading or a clean install--on my Amahi 7 setup).

Have a great night. :)
Patrick.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: upgrading an extremely old server

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:23 am

Hello,
My main question is if I do a clean install, is there any way of backing up the current users and directories so I can recreate them afterward? Or is there an upgrade path that I can try (I realize it won't be supported at all)?
Check out the HDA OS Migration Guide for assistance on upgrading Amahi with a new install.

This is the best path as you won't have to worry about upgrade failures and it will be a fresh system.
One final question. At one point in time, I had two HDA's set up (PatrickDickey and PatrickDickey-2). The server is the second, but in my control panel, it only shows the first one. Can I rerun the amahi-install and put the install code from the first server in, or will it break my system (this would be before I try upgrading or a clean install--on my Amahi 7 setup).
I would recommend you create a new profile for each server. Best to not reuse profiles for a different version.

I have done this upgrade path many times with no issues. Important that you document all the steps you need to take on the new install for recreating your environment. That will ensure you don't forget something.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

PatrickDickey

Postby PatrickDickey » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:04 pm

This is the best path as you won't have to worry about upgrade failures and it will be a fresh system.
I would recommend you create a new profile for each server. Best to not reuse profiles for a different version.

I have done this upgrade path many times with no issues. Important that you document all the steps you need to take on the new install for recreating your environment. That will ensure you don't forget something.
Thank you for the quick reply and I will check the documentation out. As for the two HDA names, I only have one server. I think what happened was, the original name I chose became corrupt, so I created a second HDA with the other name. I'll just use the install code for the existing HDA (PatrickDickey) when I reinstall. I guess my question really is can I re-run the hda-install right now and use the install code on the existing server (just so it shows up as active until I upgrade it)?

Have a great day. :)
Patrick.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:20 pm

I would recommend you delete the profile for the server not being used. Then create a new one.

As for reusing the code, you can but there might have been changes since it was created.
I guess my question really is can I re-run the hda-install right now and use the install code on the existing server (just so it shows up as active until I upgrade it)?
Once Amahi has been installed, you should not re-run the install code. It likely will break things. Obviously it's your server so you can do as you need, but I would not recommend it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

PatrickDickey

Postby PatrickDickey » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:06 pm

I would recommend you delete the profile for the server not being used. Then create a new one.

As for reusing the code, you can but there might have been changes since it was created.
I guess my question really is can I re-run the hda-install right now and use the install code on the existing server (just so it shows up as active until I upgrade it)?
Once Amahi has been installed, you should not re-run the install code. It likely will break things. Obviously it's your server so you can do as you need, but I would not recommend it.
Thank you for all of the replies. Just so I'm clear about this when you say create a new profile, does that mean an entirely new account? Or does it just mean going through the "Add an HDA" under my Control Panel? To be honest, if it means an entirely new account, I'm kind of lost already as I don't know what account/email I set up the PatrickDickey-2 install under. And, I doubt there's an easy way to find out.

Have a great day. :)
Patrick.

PatrickDickey

Postby PatrickDickey » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:07 pm

I'm running into another issue. In the HDA OS Migration Guide, it provides a script that you can use. However, the scripts return a 404 Not Found error (I tried both the f19 and the one for f21-f25). Is there another location for them?

Thanks, and have a great day. :)
Patrick.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:27 pm

Sorry, I mean using your existing account, remove one of the HDA profiles. You likely have 2 and removing one will allow you to create a new one.

As for the scripts, not sure what happened to the links. I just fixed them so should work for you now.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:08 pm

Sorry, didn't realize I had to share them using Google Drive.

I have moved the scripts to the Amahi site, so they are downloadable by anyone now.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:56 am

I presume everything is good now since I haven't seen any post updates.

Will mark this as closed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager