CLOSED: Amahi Server is Being Setup - ESXI

garethsnaim

CLOSED: Amahi Server is Being Setup - ESXI

Postby garethsnaim » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:26 am

Hi

I am trying to install Amahi as a virtual server, according to the FAQ this is douable. I have been through a fair part of the process and am now at a black screen saying Amahi Server is being setup up and to be patient.

Well its been an hour and nothing?

I found a wiki talking about foxhole or something but its from 8 years ago. Is there something special I need to do to get this server operational?

Cheers

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Amahi Server is Being Setup - ESXI

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:24 am

However, some users have identified issues with this install method relating to applications. The alternate install method below provides the best solution for most.
Don't use the Express DVD. As the instructions state, use the Minimal Install CD for the best option.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

garethsnaim

Postby garethsnaim » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:04 am

Thanks for this

Sadly the instructions appear to be out of date like the other wiki, is Amahi still a thing?

It says in those instruction expressly not to create a root password, however you are not allowed to complete installation without doing so.

When booted to the screen and logged in the sudo command does not work ,it tells me I am going to be reported for trying

Finally this command: rpm -Uvh http://f27.amahi.org/noarch/hda-release ... noarch.rpm. returns an error that it cannot be resolved. I can ping websites ok

garethsnaim

Postby garethsnaim » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:15 am

Ok not sure what I did but tis doing it now.

ALARM time. I am just looking for a home server to run plex on, the instructions are on about pumping my entire network through it, why??

I do not want to do this. Do I have to, have I got the wrong end of the stick with Amahi?

I was using OMV, when it had a nice plugin for plex but now they have gone over to the accursed Docker so I am looking for something else but I have no interest in pushing all my network activity through this server.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:35 pm

Sadly the instructions appear to be out of date like the other wiki, is Amahi still a thing?
No they are current. You did not follow them correctly. Create a user and make them an admin. That gives the user root privileges via sudo.and root user not required.
It says in those instruction expressly not to create a root password, however you are not allowed to complete installation without doing so.
Your are mistaken. Root password is not required for install, but you have to create a user. Again, you did not follow instructions precisely.
Finally this command: rpm -Uvh http://f27.amahi.org/noarch/hda-release ... noarch.rpm. returns an error that it cannot be resolved. I can ping websites ok
That indicates a network issue. I just did an install last night with no problem. Does your machine have more than one network card? Amahi only supports a single network interface.
ALARM time. I am just looking for a home server to run plex on, the instructions are on about pumping my entire network through it, why??
Why is this an ALARM? I presume you didn’t read about Amahi before installing. Amahi is designed to manage your home network, but it’s not mandatory to use it as a DHCP server. You can turn off DHCP, but will lose some functionality. Also Plex Media Server will work without it, but you have to access it by IP address and port.

Amahi can work four your needs, but you have to follow instructions precisely. Also the wiki will help with common problems. You might want to check out the FAQ as it answers many common questions about Amahi.

Hope that helps.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

garethsnaim

Postby garethsnaim » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:43 pm

Thank you for your replies I do appreciate it.

You are correct I missed the bit about making the user admin.

However I have a full Unifi system running my network I dont need another server doing it. I am sure its all totally fine, whilst I understand the integration of stuff, this is not for me. Once it was installed it seems to have taken 192.168.0.2 as its IP which is actually a fixed IP for my switch.

Thank you for your help again.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:19 am

No problem.

Sorry Amahi won't work for you.

Marking as closed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager