SOLVED: UEFI unable to recognize F27/A11 media

ratrat4563

SOLVED: UEFI unable to recognize F27/A11 media

Postby ratrat4563 » Sun May 31, 2020 2:59 pm

I replaced my old motherboard (was from an old Acer desktop, Aspire X-3400) with a new ASRock J4105-ITX motherboard and at the same time installed a small 30GB SSD to hold the OS. I had previously downloaded the following files (linked from Amahi 11 install page):
Amahi-11-x86_64.iso
Fedora-Server-netinst-x86_64-27-1.6.iso
Fedora-Server-dvd-x86_64-27-1.6.iso

I had previously burned the iso files to DVD and all had worked on my old configuration. When I attempted to use on my new hardware which has no provisions for booting in a legacy mode, uefi only none of these DVD's would load the system. The DVD would come up and give me the start of the install and I was able to select the load Fedora 27 or load Amahi 11 line and after that I got no response from the system and after waiting for up to 30 minutes there was no change observed. I then took the same iso files and using Fedora Media Writer made a bootable USB stick with each of these files and upon loading achieved the same results as with the DVD's. At this point I downloaded an iso of the current Fedora 32 server to see if that would load. Both the DVD and the USB stick loaded with no problems. Although I can load Fedora 32 I know that it is not recommended to run Amahi 11 so I currently have my HDA offline.

I can only make the assumption that the iso files provided on the Amahi 11 install page have a problem which makes installation on a machine with only UEFI a problem. Is their a work around for this or is it possible to run Amahi 11 under Fedora 32 as it will load? I don't really want to go and get another motherboard as it's getting harder to find a cheap one to keep the cost down without having to different hardware to support a motherboard change.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: UEFI unable to recognize F27/A11 media

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:57 pm

Have you checked the internet for a solution. Maybe Fedora Forums? I am surprised there is not someone else who has had this problem in the past. It's not like your mother board is the first to have UEFI only. Is it possible to disable UEFI in the BIOS. I read somewhere that doing that would allow Linux to be installed. I am sure there is a work around out there somewhere, just may take some research.
Is their a work around for this or is it possible to run Amahi 11 under Fedora 32 as it will load?
No, Amahi 11 is only supported on Fedora 27. While it may appear to load, it will ultimately fail. There are pieces of Amahi 11 that are only compatible with Fedora 27.

We are working on Amahi 12 for Fedora 32, but it's not ready for production.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ratrat4563

Postby ratrat4563 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:18 pm

Kind of what I expected. The BIOS has ZERO support for legacy boot, it is UEFI or nothing. From what I have been able to find so far this is common on INTEL Gemini Lake platforms as they provide support for UEFI mode only. I'm going to borrow a motherboard from a friend that supports legacy and see if I can load the SSD with Fedora 27 and Amahi 11 then swap motherboards and hopefully all will be well, Will also checkout the Fedora forums and see if I can find anything. If I stumble on a work around/solution I'll post it here.

Thanks for the hints.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:13 pm

No problem.

Wished I had the time to research for you.

I hope you find a solution. Look forward to hearing from you.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ratrat4563

Postby ratrat4563 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:59 pm

OK, I finally figured out what was happening. I think that the F27/A11 installation software has a minor bug which shows up when installing on the ASRock J4105-ITX motherboard. I originally thought that it was a failure to install as the installation attempts would start to look like install was happening. I could select the install (Fedora 27 DVD, Fedora 27 Netinstall, or Amahi 11 Install) and the screen would come up with a few lines quickly and the last line was reached target system. At that time the monitor would go blank and I made the assumption that an install was being aborted based on the fact that the DVD and USB sticks I was using had not caused this on my old legacy boot system and when I loaded Fedora 32 I did not have this problem.

After your last response I got doing some serious thinking and somehow made the decision to secure power to my monitor after the screen went blank and then to turn it back on. Viola, the display was exactly as it should be showing the installation progress. By turning off my monitor at this point and then turning it back on I have been able to verify the installation of all three methods of loading F27 and Amahi 11 using both DVD media and USB sticks. I've never seen anything like this before but everything is working now.

Lets mark this closed but keep it in mind with the new motherboards using the INTEL Gemini Lake platforms as it could be common to all.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:08 pm

Glad to hear it’s sorted out.

Definitely odd behavior.

Marking as resolved.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager