Upgrade or Install to Amahi 11 w/ greyhole

amielgoldberg

Upgrade or Install to Amahi 11 w/ greyhole

Postby amielgoldberg » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Presently I'm using Amahi 10 / Fedora 25. I'd like to upgrade to Amahi 11 / Fedora 27. One concern I have is that I have a lot of data stored in greyhole on my HDA.

Presently greyhole has three dedicated hard drives that are not pooled with the drive that contains the operating system or applications. I don't have any place to back it up to prior to my upgrade. Is there a way to upgrade to Amahi 11 / Fedora 27 without having to lose the data stored in greyhole?

Ideally, I'd like to upgrade and then remount the drives. Is this possible? Would greyhole be able to read the data on the remount drives and simply pick up where it left off? Thank you for your thoughts.

madhatta

Re: Upgrade or Install to Amahi 11 w/ greyhole

Postby madhatta » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:40 am

I have the same setup with regard to OS and pool drive configuration and that's how it worked for me. Make sure to uninstall apps and plugins that have been added to the amahi dashboard and backup their respective configs. Perform the upgrade as directed and you should be good to go when it comes back up.

Worst case, even if greyhole takes some re-configuring to start again, your data isn't lost, just sitting in the gh folders on each drive.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:15 am

I would recommend you stop Greyhole via the dashboard and uncheck watchdog and start on boot options.

Then unmount the drives and comment them out in /etc/fstab. This will prevent them from being accessible during the upgrade process.

Once the upgrade is complete and any problems resolved, you can mount them and restart Greyhole.

Seems a bit extreme, but will ensure all Greyhole action is halted before you begin the upgrade process.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

evylrat

Postby evylrat » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:50 am

Wish I'd seen this before the upgrade. Mine at the weekend OK, I reinstalled greyhole ui, re added the drives to the pool. I put a file on a shared folder and watched the greyhole log. Nothing. So I restarted the greyhole service and saw some errors about uuid not being recognised. I cleared the queue and I stopped service and rebooted. The files moved to the greyhole store and greyhole seems to be working. I did start seeing a bunch of files being removed from a store till I saw it was from an old previously removed drive, phew.
Greyhole is fairly robust and if your files don't appear in the shared folders don't panic.