Installing on a Raid 5 server, one logical 7.2 terabyte drive

bifrost

Installing on a Raid 5 server, one logical 7.2 terabyte drive

Postby bifrost » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:17 am

I want to use a Dell server that I have for Amahi. It's Five 2 terabyte drives setup as RAID 5, configured as a single logical drive, just over 7 terabytes. When I first tried to do the install, carefully following all the instructions, all looked good for creating the partitions except the bulk of the space was shown as mounting as /home (As instructed, I selected "standard" instead of LVM). The docs seem to say that you don't want this situation so I deleted the /home partition before installing. The installation seemed to go well and the system came up. However how do I now get access to the rest of my disk space and how do I get Amahi to see and use the space. I don't want to use Greyhole as it seems unnecessary with my configuration. I actually tried to use the Disk Wizard app to get the available space into a new partition but it ended up erasing the boot record partition. Would everything have worked if I'd just let the system setup the /home partition?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Installing on a Raid 5 server, one logical 7.2 terabyte drive

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:55 am

Sounds like you missed a step with the disk partitioning. After you select standard ensure you choose create partition.

The /home partition won’t be created.

Recommend you start over.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bifrost

Postby bifrost » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:13 pm

In the instructions it shows an example screen showing the boot and swap partitions but no /home. I went through the entire process 3 or 4 times and each time, even after selecting "standard partition", when the screen showing the partitions to be created came up it showed the /home partition at the top using the remainder of the available space. Are you saying the /home partition wouldn't have been created even though it's on the list? The instructions seem are quite clear that we don't want to create the /home directory here so I deleted it. Anyway, everything seemed OK after that except I just need access to that unused space on the drive. Should I just use gparted to create a new ext4 partition and mount it from the command line?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:12 pm

went through the entire process 3 or 4 times and each time, even after selecting "standard partition", when the screen showing the partitions to be created came up it showed the /home partition at the top using the remainder of the available space.
I cannot reproduce the issue myself.

Please outline the steps you follow when selecting the drive to partition during install. Maybe the wiki has something out of order.
Should I just use gparted to create a new ext4 partition and mount it from the command line?
You could do that I suppose, but does not solve the issue from our standpoint. If this is a problem for install, we would like to fix it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2