CLOSED: Question: Amahi 8 to 10 upgrade with user data in Greyhole

ghrasko

CLOSED: Question: Amahi 8 to 10 upgrade with user data in Greyhole

Postby ghrasko » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:40 pm

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade an Amahi 8 install with Greyhole to Amahi 10 and looking for best practice for transferring the user directories (in the Greyhole pools).

The current configuration is as follows:
  • sda 2.7 TB
  • sda1 1.0 MB BIOS boot
  • sda2 500.0 MB /boot
  • sda3 4.0 GB Swap
  • sda4 2.7 TB / (including the Greyhole LZ as well)
  • sdb 1.8 TB
  • sdb1 1.8 TB /var/hda/files/drives/drive1 (Greyhole storage pool1)
  • sdc 1.8 TB
  • sdc1 1.8 TB /var/hda/files/drives/drive2 (Greyhole storage pool2)
The Greyhole LZ is in /var/hda/files/ where the user home directories and shared directories are defined: /var/hda/files/user1 etc. I.e. I have two copies of the files (plus the LZ). The user files contain about 1 TB data on the 1.8 TB disks.

I am planning to make a complete reinstall (not upgrade) using the 2.7 TB disk which is currently the op system disk (sda) that also contains the Greyhole LZ.

What is the best practice to re-build the Greyhole structure if I have the two discs (sdb and sdc) storing the identical (duplicated) user files. I should kind of reverse build the Greyhole structure, as I do have the storage pool(s) but I will not have the LZ.

Of course I would like to be sure that I am not loosing the user files during the process.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Question: Amahi 8 to 10 upgrade with user data in Greyhole

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:49 pm

Check out the HDA OS Migration guide.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ghrasko

Postby ghrasko » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:08 pm

Check out the HDA OS Migration guide.
Hi,

great thanks for this comprehensive upgrade guide!

However, please understand that I am affraid of loosing my (duplicated) user files and thus wuld like to understand a bit in details how Greyhole re-configuration will work. The steps are described in Setup Greyhole section in the document you refer to.

My main concern is the following: When I reconnect the two disks that contain the two storage pools for the user directories there won't be a corresponding GreyHole LZ on the primary OP system drive's /var/hda/files/ directory. The shares will already been (re)created identically to the old install, but there will not be links to the storage pool files. Maybe those will be recreated using one (?) of the copies of the storage pools by one of the steps described in the migration document, but I have no clue at which point. I see that greyhole -f (fsck) might do something like that, but I am not sure.

All-in-all, the basic (safety) quiestion is: at which point the LZ links are recreated and based on which data (from one of the storage pool files or from both)?

Gábor

ghrasko

Postby ghrasko » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:43 am

I think this answers my question, but any other information is welcomed: How to re-use Greyhole data drives on a different OS

The specific question I asked seems to be answered here as a last step of the system rebuild. It is what I assumed:
Step 6: Launch a Greyhole fsck: greyhole --fsck This will take care of re-creating symlinks if needed, and making sure all file copies are where they should be

Gábor

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:21 am

Yes that is correct. As long as there are copies on the Greyhole drives, symlinks will be recreated.

Can we consider this topic closed?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ghrasko

Postby ghrasko » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:02 am

Can we consider this topic closed?
Yes, thanks.