Remove Hard Drive from Amahi Server

Camperdownfamily

Remove Hard Drive from Amahi Server

Postby Camperdownfamily » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:49 am

I am trying to remove a hard drive from my Amahi server, but I am struggling. I am short of storage space on another machine and have excess capacity in my Amahi server, so I want to borrow a drive until I have time to get another one.

It was part of the Greyhole pool, but it didn't yet have anything on it (Disk stats shows it as empty), so I unticked it to remove it from the pool.

I searched the wiki and found this guidance to remove a drive from Amahi https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/How_to ... e_from_LVM but when I try to use the vgreduce command as the guide says, I get an error saying that the command has not been recognised.

I don't want to just shut down the server and unplug the drive because I am worried that will break the server. Is there anything I need to / can do to dismount the drive and safely remove it in the server config before I physically remove it?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Remove Hard Drive from Amahi Server

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:02 am

Don't remove the drive from the storage pool just yet.

Follow the moving data out of the storage pool guidance first. Do this regardless if there was data on the drive.

Once you do this, unmount the drive and remove it from /etc/fstab before shutting down the server. Failure to do so will cause you machine not boot.

If you added the drive manually following wiki guidance or using the disk-wizard App, it's not part of LVM. The link you provided is not needed in this case.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2