Services to disable

rgmhtt

Services to disable

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:25 pm

When I set up a FC server, one of the first things i do is disable services I don't need, like Bluetooth.

Avahi-daemon is another service I disable,as I don't run zeroconf here. But I noticed on booting that mt-daapd failed to start because avahi was not running, and that mt-daapd is for an iTunes server.

So I suspect that if I want iTunes server on my AMAHI server, I need avahi-daemon running?

And if I don't want iTunes (like on my mail server) I can disable mt-daapd as well...

mana

Re: Services to disable

Postby mana » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:02 am

New to Linux, I would be interested in knowing which services you recommend to disable? Each case will be different but I assume many services are not critical for most users - Bluetooth being a good example

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:43 am

When I build a Centos or Fedora system, Bluetooth (unless I need it for a bluetooth device) and avahi-deamon are the two services I disable.

I have never spent the time to figure out if any of the NFS related services were 'safe' to disable.

If you have Mac systems around, you will want avahi-deamon. Maybe for some Vista stuff as well?

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:15 am

When I set up a FC server, one of the first things i do is disable services I don't need, like Bluetooth.

Avahi-daemon is another service I disable,as I don't run zeroconf here. But I noticed on booting that mt-daapd failed to start because avahi was not running, and that mt-daapd is for an iTunes server.

So I suspect that if I want iTunes server on my AMAHI server, I need avahi-daemon running?

And if I don't want iTunes (like on my mail server) I can disable mt-daapd as well...
yes, you do need avahi-daemon if you want AmahiTunes.

if you do not want AmahiTunes, yes, mt-daapd can be disabled.

the best way is via Apps -> Servers (after 'advanced settings' is turned on).
you can then control AmahiTunes (and mt-daapd) from there!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:35 am

And this is a nice addition, I might add...

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:43 pm

yes, you do need avahi-daemon if you want AmahiTunes.

Unfortunately, AmahiTunes is NOT one of the listed servers in Applications>Servers after enabling advanced settings.

Only:

Apache Web Server
DNS Server
DHCP Server
MySQL Server
File Server
Amahi Dynamic DNS updater
OpenVPN Server

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:47 pm

hmm. if you already removed/disabled it, it may be gone from that page.

i do wonder. it should be there.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:25 pm

I reenabled it with chkconfig --level before checking.

ANd restarted avahi-deamon and mt-daapd.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:51 pm

yes, however, when the update for the "new server" code happened, if it was not running, it would not pick it up.

you can try running this script and it may bring it back.
however, i am not sure (it's old code, so please don't blame me if it blows up your house).

/var/hda/platform/html/script/install-servers

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:19 am

Nothing blew up, but then nothing changed.

I rebooted, ran the script, got into //hda?tabs=apps (or whatever it is). Went over to servers and still not listed.

Well this is suppose to be the AMAHI mailserver we are working on, so I just chkconfiged the services off and done with it for now. I noted I could do this as mt-daapd does not seem to be controlled by monit.

Next time I build a server, I will check this more carefully....