Will not accept any characters in password space. . . .

kvinzant

Will not accept any characters in password space. . . .

Postby kvinzant » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:46 pm

I followed the install directions carefully. Now I'm at the localhost login screen. The system allows me to enter the login but will not accept any characters in the password space. I need help!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Will not accept any characters in password space. . . .

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:09 pm

It does accept characters but does not echo them on the screen. This is normal for Linux.

Try it again.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

kvinzant

Postby kvinzant » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:43 pm

Big, I went back and tried it again and even if the characters don't show up, the system will not allow me to log in. I am positive I have the password and local host name correctly entered. I forgot to mention that I could not adjust the date and time either when I installed. Something is obviously wrong with the install.

How about you instruct me on how to start over with a new install.

K

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:47 pm

Check that your install media is not corrupt. Are you using the minimal install CD?

Start from the beginning of the install guidance as if you had never installed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

kvinzant

Postby kvinzant » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:41 pm

After you explained that the characters of the password would be accepted but would not show up on the screen, I was able to log in. Now, however, I cannot get the system to accept the three separate commands. I get a number of response messages including "error: can't create transaction lock on" , "This command has to be run under the root user" , "command not found".

As you can imagine, I am getting very, very frustrated. I would go back and start all over but I'm afraid I'll run into the same problems.

Let me know if you have any suggestions that may help me. An install like this should not be this difficult. I remind you that I am installing on a Dell T30 Server that is brand new!

K

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:08 pm

If you are following the guidance, then you should be root user.

The errors you are receiving indicates you are not running them as root user.

Recommend you follow the guidance precisely. Read them carefully and don't rush.

Install is not that difficult in my opinion. Most have no issues. It seems as if you are missing steps or not following them correctly. We find most issues are due to user error.

The server being new has no bearing on the install. If you did not use the CD, that could cause issues possibly. Are you sure your equipment is supported by Fedora? Linux supports most but some may need additional drivers.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager