SOLVED: Fresh install greyhole question

wyzard

SOLVED: Fresh install greyhole question

Postby wyzard » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:20 am

Good morning. Was having some problems with my connection (HDA was showing offline). Reinstalled and was getting ready to reattach my drives when I noticed that the SATA connector on one was damaged (plastic came off in the cable). I had two drives installed and was running greyhole. I'm down to one now and have a couple of questions:

1. Will all my media still be intact on the one drive. If so, how would I go about reinstalling that so i can get to my media without using greyhole?
2. If I get a new blank drive and install it, would it just be a simple issue of connecting the drives backup per my migration.txt file and then configuring greyhole?
3. Would I loose any media using either of these methods?

Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Fresh install greyhole question

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:34 am

1. Will all my media still be intact on the one drive. If so, how would I go about reinstalling that so i can get to my media without using greyhole?
The drive that was Greyhole enabled should have a /gh folder. All your files would be located there within the respective shares.
2. If I get a new blank drive and install it, would it just be a simple issue of connecting the drives backup per my migration.txt file and then configuring greyhole?
If you add the new drives, you would need to repeat the adding hard drives guidance or use the disk-wizard App.
3. Would I loose any media using either of these methods?
You shouldn't lose any data.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

wyzard

Postby wyzard » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:40 am

Thanks for the info.

How would I go about using just one drive for now until a get a replacement and add another drive?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:28 am

How would I go about using just one drive for now until a get a replacement and add another drive?
If you mean one drive for files and OS with Amahi, you would need to partition it. Otherwise when you went to install Fedora and the OS, you would lose your data.

There is guidance on the internet on how to do drive partitioning.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

wyzard

Postby wyzard » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:43 am

I have my OS on one drive. I had two drives in addition to the drive with the OS installed. Now I'll only have one drive installed in addition to the drive with OS installed until I get a drive to replace the bad one. My question is how would I set that up as the migration text file has the information on both of those additional drives.

Thanks.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:42 pm

My question is how would I set that up as the migration text file has the information on both of those additional drives.
Remove the bad drive and follow the add hard drives guidance.

With the bad drive removed, it should not show up.

As for Greyhole, see the Reconnect existing Greyhole storage pool guidance.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

wyzard

Postby wyzard » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:21 am

Good morning.

I followed the instructions you provided for setting up one drive. I followed the instructions for setting it as All Shares. It's done and when I run df -h I can sda1 with a size of 1.8T with 593Gig used. Good! I know my files are still there. My issue is that when I go to windows explorer, I can see the HDA. When I click on it see the different shares (movies, music, pictures, etc.). When I click on those I get an error that says Windows cannot access \\HDA\Movies (or any other directory). I checked the dashboard and when I look at the shares it has the following for Movies (as an example).

\\hda\Movies The file location is listed as /var/hda/files/movies

Under size it says du: cannot access '/var/hda/files/movies': No such file or directory (i'm assuming it means sudo and just truncated it)

Any help on being able to access the information/files so I can continue with setting up Plex, etc. would be appreciated.

One more bit of information. I previously had additional drives (my OS is on a third drive) both of which were set up to use greyhole. One drive went bad, and this was the other drive that I had as a greyhole drive but am not setting it up that way this time until I get a replacement drive.

Thanks again.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:11 pm

Have you done any manual modifications to the HDA?

Share access will only work if your client is getting DHCP from the HDA. Have you checked that?

Also try \\ip address and see if shares are available.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

wyzard

Postby wyzard » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:33 pm

Have you done any manual modifications to the HDA? - No. Followed all the instructions to the letter

Share access will only work if your client is getting DHCP from the HDA. Have you checked that? - Yes. It is setup to give out the DHCP

Also try \\ip address and see if shares are available. - The shares are showing I just can't access any of them as I'm told I'm not authorized. The only one I can access is the one with my user name.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:21 pm

The shares are showing I just can't access any of them as I'm told I'm not authorized. The only one I can access is the one with my user name.
Sounds like an authentication issue with your client.

Have you checked shares troubleshooting in the wiki? Can you see the shares and files via command line?

Also please provide the URL for:

Code: Select all

apaste --sysinfo
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager