CLOSED: Cannot install fedora 23 on my hdd!

Joeysmith

CLOSED: Cannot install fedora 23 on my hdd!

Postby Joeysmith » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:47 am

no matter what I do, it will always fail. I am a noob with this stuff, thats why I have been following the directions to a tee and still cannot seem to get it figured out. I figured you guys know your stuff way better than I do and I appreciate you reading this. Thank you in advance. Heres my bugzilla reporthttps://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1282259

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Cannot install fedora 23 on my hdd!

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:32 am

Check the install troubleshooting page to see if it relates to your issue.

What install method are you using, CD, DVD, or USB?

Happy to help, but need more info.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Joeysmith

Postby Joeysmith » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:43 am

it seems to be that fedora is not compatible on my laptop. I was using the usb guide. I also tried rufus and netbootin.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:02 am

Did you check out the link I provided? It may be related to your issue. There is a link on how to work with UEFI systems.

Recommend you use CD or DVD vs USB if possible. I find it hard to believe it's not compatible with your laptop unless it's a 32-bit machine.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

astinusofmetate

Postby astinusofmetate » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:23 pm

Since this subject is somewhat generic, I'll add onto it with my own similar troubles.

Previously installed Fedora 23 + Amahi 9 on an old PC to play around with it. That worked great so I saved the old pair of SATA hard drives and installed a new motherboard and CPU.

My intent is to use the old pair of drives for the OS (RAID 1) and then incorporate a pair of new (much larger) drives for the actual network shares.

After I figured out how to setup hardware RAID on my AMD A88X-based motherboard, I can't seem to get beyond the first screen of Fedora 23 Server due to an "unknown error."

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1297624#c20

As the report shows, the reason is:

blivet.errors.DeviceTreeError: failed to add slave via_ccbhhiciad of device via_ccbhhiciad1

What does that mean? If I unplug the two hard drives and run the installer, I don't get an "unknown error" like this (but then I have no place to put the OS :P). I also checked the UEFI RAID setup by starting a Windows 10 installation. After loading the third party RAID drivers (via a second usb drive), Windows 10 found the array as a single drive and was ready to install.

So... I don't think it's UEFI issue. But I could be wrong.

Any ideas?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:50 am

So... I don't think it's UEFI issue. But I could be wrong.
This could cause problems. I have seen it in the past with other users.
Any ideas?
Yes, don't use RAID. There is very little benefit in my opinion. Why make things more complicated that necessary? Use the extra drive for storage or backup the OS once it's configured to the second drive using Clonezilla.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

astinusofmetate

Postby astinusofmetate » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:41 pm

Thanks for the reply. To absolutely confirm it was a conflict with the AMD RAID controller, I changed the UEFI setting for storage back to AHCI and the Fedora installer doesn't appear to be angry anymore.

I had luck using the RAID controller on my (very) old setup so I was just kind of assuming all would be well this round. I guess not!

Looks like have to come up with a new storage scheme, but that's a topic for a different thread.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:49 am

Sorry it did not work as expected.

Will mark this thread as closed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

astinusofmetate

Re: CLOSED: Cannot install fedora 23 on my hdd!

Postby astinusofmetate » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:44 am

Follow-on: I found the root cause of the problem. The 2 old drives were previously setup in a RAID configuration on the old motherboard. Somehow it carried that information over to the new setup and made a mess of trying to setup the AMD RAID. I used a Windows10 install disk (USB flash) to run 'diskpart' to clear out the old information before trying again to create a new array.

Good news: It appeared to work and I no longer get the fatal error from the installation GUI.

Bad news: The installation GUI appears to recognize both drives as independent entities (sda1 & sdb1)

(Mostly just a learning exercise at this point as I'm going to remove the array and go back to AHCI to continue installation. The general consensus from the Internet appears to be that unless you've got an expensive add-on RAID controller, using virtual RAID by way of motherboard firmware or OS software is a bit of a crapshoot anyway.)