Server Hardware Upgrade Help

leifhr

Server Hardware Upgrade Help

Postby leifhr » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:36 am

Hello all,

I've been testing out Amahi on an old laptop, and I have loved it for the past month, but the hardware is just not doing it justice...

I like it so much that i just built an actual desktop server for it to run on. So i was wondering if there is a easy way to possibly transfer parts the install, or if you guys have any tips on re-doing an installation.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

cpg
Administrator

Re: Server Hardware Upgrade Help

Postby cpg » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:35 pm

thanks for the kind words. the team deserves it :)

best is to install clean. create a profile in http://www.amahi.org for your new HDA and install from scratch. what is 10 minutes more for a clean install. most of the time it's faster than any other messing around.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

error10

Re: Server Hardware Upgrade Help

Postby error10 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:34 pm

In theory you can copy a Linux installation to a completely new computer with completely new hardware. Most of the time this actually works fine. With Amahi it won't work since the most common thing that happens is eth0 gets changed to eth1, (since the network hardware is different in the new computer) and everything Amahi that depends on eth0 breaks. It's best, then, to install fresh.